My first silver S halve after 1 year 2 months crh

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will add a picture later.

I got my first half dollar Kennedy commemorative bicentennial 1776-1976 S 40% silver.

Not a great find for many of you but this is my first S= Sanfrancisco 40% silver.

This is not the proof one.

The teller let me search a halve dollar bag over the counter so I do not have to dump anything.
The awesome thing is that it was a bag that an other CRHunter dumped there. He missed this one.

Thanks

DW

DW

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one it is. The sound, the edges, the color. Actually it is not a very low mintage with about
5,000,000 for the S Silver and 4,000,000 for the S Silver proof.

DW

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darth Walker said:
This one it is. The sound, the edges, the color. Actually it is not a very low mintage with about
5,000,000 for the S Silver and 4,000,000 for the S Silver proof.

DW

Unknown amount of these were melted. The 1976S 40% silver halves were put together with quarter and Ike dollar as the bicentennial uncirculated silver set but the sales were very slow; Until 1982 some large amount of those sets still were unsold so they were melted. So the 1976S silver halves are much hard to find than the 70s. I found more 70s than 76s.

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yinzi50, well then if many were melted it is better to find this coin since the mintage has decreased.

I found it and it was very dirty. Still you can tell it is silver. Anyway I will show the coin to my coin dealer
to verify it is 40% silver.

Thanks for your input.

DW

OP
OP
Darth Walker

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinmojo, I just do not pay alot of attention to that.

Then it is for plural=Halves
for singular =Half

Is halfs ok too???

One Half
two Halves

LOL DW

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
coinmojo said:
Why do people always get this wrong. If you were eating cake or pie would you eat a Halve of a piece?
Lol! Hey Moj, a half dollar bag could be a bag with only a single 50 cent piece in it! ffd

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
nice, I think I got 2 of these... funny thing is I put a regular one next to it because rim looked silver I suppose, but turns out it don't look silver to me no more and no S. Definitely enjoy finding these as I loved bicentennials as a kid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread