My First Silver Sixpence And My First Barber Quarter!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The kids and I went out yesterday afternoon at a new spot. We only got in about 30 minutes before a storm came in and sent us packing. But right before we left, I got a great sounding signal and pulled out a 1943D Australian Sixpence. This coin was minted at the Denver mint, so it went "Down Under" then back to the US. Was very happy to have a neat first silver find in such a short time.
Getting back to this spot was on my mind all day. We went back down with only about an hour to hunt. Within 10 minutes I pulled a 1935 Merc, and was happy to have another silver from here. A few minutes later after digging up some clad, I get an awesome quarter/half signal fairly deep on the Etrac. I popped the plug, dug out some of the loose dirt and saw that sweet sight of a silver quarter in the hole. I was excited to see that as I picked it up I thought maybe an SLQ, until I looked closer and saw it is the Barber I have been wanting to find! I have found a few Barber dimes and 1 Barber half, but this quarter has been eluding me until today. That pretty much did it for me, found a few wheats before we left.
I found a Hopalong Cassidy Good Luck Coin this past Saturday along with a Buffalo & the most worn Mercury dime I have ever found. HH David

1943Sixpence1_zps8f115ec6.jpg
Combo_zpsb57b073f.jpg
BarberQuarter1_zps97a0e066.jpg
BarberQuarter2_zps4663b6ab.jpg
BarberQuarter16_zpsd1951c90.jpg
BarberQuarter15_zps779c336e.jpg
BarberQuarter20_zps645dda44.jpg
HopalongCassidy_zps8d9cccc0.jpg
BarberQuarter19_zps0980042c.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow those are some nice finds.. Congrats on the coins.. Thanks for sharing.

GoldGirl56

Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro & Garrett PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what an awesome day for you! Your sixpence is wonderful - I'm from downunder and last week we found a 1960 sixpence and was really excited, but after seeing yours I so was thrilled for you that you found one from 1943 and in America! Your finds are amazing and so are your pics! Well done :)

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin finds and cool token! Congratulations on finally scoring that Barber Quarter! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what an awesome day for you! Your sixpence is wonderful - I'm from downunder and last week we found a 1960 sixpence and was really excited, but after seeing yours I so was thrilled for you that you found one from 1943 and in America! Your finds are amazing and so are your pics! Well done :)

Thanks! We were excited to see it and learn about it. We love to find coins from other places, this is one of the best ones yet. Good luck & happy hunting!

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm ready for a good outing...lol

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Not bad for 90 minutes worth of hunting. I bet you're looking forward to hitting that site again. :thumbsup:

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Minelab X-terra 705 dual pack
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunts! Id love to find a barber anything...I've found a seated dime and plenty of mercs, but never dug any barbers...one day I'm sure it will happen if i keep swinging. Sweet spot you got yourself there.
HH TMac

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunts! Id love to find a barber anything...I've found a seated dime and plenty of mercs, but never dug any barbers...one day I'm sure it will happen if i keep swinging. Sweet spot you got yourself there.
HH TMac

Thanks, I know you will find your first Barber and it will be a great surprise! I would like to find more older coins like seateds. I try to find the oldest spots in my area to detect. I found my first seated this year, a 1839 half dime and it was a thrill. Still looking for a seated dime,quarter or half. Good luck on your quest to find your first Barber!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Not bad for 90 minutes worth of hunting. I bet you're looking forward to hitting that site again. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I have better luck on shorter hunts here lately, which is nice as my detecting time is limited. I'm hoping there are a few more keepers there. HH

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool hunt, great finds gotta love Barbers

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave, Congrats on the Barber Q!!! Took me years to get my first one too--found SLQs and a Seated first! Love the AU sixpence too! You always seem to find good stuff !

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score !

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, Congrats on the Barber Q!!! Took me years to get my first one too--found SLQs and a Seated first! Love the AU sixpence too! You always seem to find good stuff !

Thanks Erik! I would love to find a Seated Quarter! That is next on the list. The sixpence was a great surprise as well, we love to find anything different. HH

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find on that Barber quarter. Not as easy to find in the ground as it was 30 years ago. Great group of coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread