My first SLQ, and found in an unusual place.

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I spent the morning scouting new places to hunt. Got a few good leads and possible permission but after 3 hours we hadn't swung the detector once. He had somewhere to go and I had some errands to do so I headed home. I had the bug so I decided to take my detector out in my own yard. I've never found anything good or old here. The house was built in 1962 so most of the stuff in the ground is pretty new. After the usual clad, junk and toys I was glad to find a "Amtrak" button. Pretty modern but different. I decided to go where they had dug up the ground to put in a storm drain a few years back and had refilled in the area. I got a quarter signal at 5". I always dig quarters so I dug a big plug, flipped it over and saw what looked like a silver coin on edge in the bottom. My heart skipped a beat and skipped again when I saw it was a Standing Liberty quarter. This is the first SLQ I've ever found and I found it in my own backyard, where I thought I'd never find an old coin.

Attachments

• yard finds.jpg
    yard finds.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 613
  • slq.jpg
    slq.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 553
Upvote 0

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

From those finds, :o I'd say your house was built on an older site. :icon_thumleft: I'd hunt the heck out of that property. :headbang: Grats on your first. :hello2:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, SLQ's are hard to find. They all look good. Congrats.

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Pretty cool! Yea, sometimes time and heavy equipment erase any signs of the past, could be sittin on some very old property?!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Hello, :hello:

From those finds, :o I'd say your house was built on an older site. :icon_thumleft: I'd hunt the heck out of that property. :headbang: Grats on your first. :hello2:

That SLQ could have been lost in '62 - '64. That one has been through many hands.

Use sanitizer and enjoy it. None of my relatives had good yards either. An SLQ would have been a light at the end of the tunnel.

What about the other stuff that looks old, the car, gun hammer, button and the square nut? :icon_scratch:

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
you never know what people will drop, and when. a long time ago my dad and i found a 1792 spanish 2 reale coin in the back yard of a 1940's house, only two inches deep. Id guess a kid dropped it in the 60's or 70's. i couldnt beleive it and neither could he. i had never seen one before. its the oldest dated coin ive ever found. but almost certainly not the longest-buried coin ive ever found if you know what i mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread