My First Spanish Cob

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
This cob was found on December 3rd, and was posted that day on Today's Finds:

For the past two weeks I've been hunting a woods that I first hit in March and April of this year. Though finds have been few and far between, I did come up a Draped Bust Large Cent with an unreadable date in March and a very early Colonial Copper in April, that was identified here on T-Net as a circa 1680 Charles II Irish Halfpenny. I also found a few of the usual early flat buttons, a nondescript buckle or two, and other bits and pieces. I decided to give this spot another try, since I have not pounded it as much as my other pretty much hunted out spots. First time back I found an 1859 "fat" Indian Head penny, and last week an 1806 Draped Bust Large Cent.

So that brings us to today. I got to the woods about 3:00 PM, and for about the first hour I had only dug one good signal which turned out to be a 19th century small flattened copper or brass container, which rang out as penny/dime on my MXT. I also had gotten several shotgun shell signals at shallow depth, some of which I dug and some I ignored. So I'm going along thinking "there's got to be another decent coin here, I couldn't have found the only old four coins in these woods, the odds are there has to be another." So a little while later, and by now it's got to be about 4:15, cause it's starting to get a little dark, I get a decent, repeatable signal which is reading "screwtop" on the MXT in the 50 to 52 range. Now anybody who uses an MXT knows that in old sites, a "screwtop" signal can turn out to a button, an Indian Head penny, a small relic, or sometimes even a Half Reale. So I pull out a plug, and I'm having a little trouble finding the target due to roots, but finally come up with a small irregular piece of metal, which at first I figured was going to be nothing but junk, but when I saw the silver and the Spanish cross I knew exactly what I had found! Needless to say, it was totally unexpected and the great feeling I had is what keeps us addicted to this great hobby!

Attachments

• cob2.jpg
    cob2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 622
  • cob3.jpg
    cob3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 608
  • cob3a.jpg
    cob3a.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 629
  • cob3b.jpg
    cob3b.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 627
  • cob2.jpg
    cob2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 613
  • cob3.jpg
    cob3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 615
  • cob3a.jpg
    cob3a.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 619
  • cob3b.jpg
    cob3b.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 621

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and thanks for posting the process of you found it. :hello2:

Trez

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread