KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is (so far) my first and only Spanish silver find. It's a 1/4 cut piece, and in remarkably good condition. It must have been dropped soon after being cut, if not at the actual time it was cut.

02-19-11-cut-spanish-obverse.jpg
02-19-11-cut-spanish-reverse1.jpg

It is a precious find for me, and I will never part with it.

But I am curious ... how is something like this valued? Is there a "market" or interest in cut pieces?

Thanks, everybody!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would hang on to it too. It looks like a late 1700s. Maybe, most likely 1790s. I dont know what one of those brings, but I would keep it.

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stevemc said:
I would hang on to it too. It looks like a late 1700s. Maybe, most likely 1790s. I dont know what one of those brings, but I would keep it.

For sure, it's a Carolus IV ... 1791-99.

I dug this in a field in Kentucky, at an old home site.

Just wondering about the collectibility of authentic cut pieces.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It is in great shape.

novafinder

Mar 18, 2011
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been looking for at least a piece of one of those for a long time nice find !

realeswatcher

Sep 1, 2010
Definitely a decent market for cut reales... Most of what pops up on eBay (and also in these forums) are quarter-cuts of "pistareens" (the Spain 2 Reales coin). The pistareen generally passed for 20 cents, as they contained less silver than the colonial version of the 2R aka "2 bits" minted in Mexico, Peru, etc., so the quarter-cuts functioned as a half dime/5 cents. Actually, someone just posted 4 or 5 of these for sale on eBay earlier today...

From the dimensions of the design and your title, however, yours appears to be a quarter-cut of a full 8 Reales coin, yes? Correct on the (colonial type) 1791-99 Charles IIII attribution... Cut pieces of 8 reales are less frequently encountered, and I'd definitely think it should be worth more than the cut pistareen pieces. Hard to value these precisely as compared to a regular coin - more of a "how much is it worth to you?" type of artifact... With a nice writeup of how/where you found it (the origins/provenance are obviously part of the draw with something like this), maybe $60-80 or so, rough estimate? Definitely a nice find in solid condition.

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
realeswatcher said:
Definitely a decent market for cut reales... Most of what pops up on eBay (and also in these forums) are quarter-cuts of "pistareens" (the Spain 2 Reales coin). The pistareen generally passed for 20 cents, as they contained less silver than the colonial version of the 2R aka "2 bits" minted in Mexico, Peru, etc., so the quarter-cuts functioned as a half dime/5 cents. Actually, someone just posted 4 or 5 of these for sale on eBay earlier today...

From the dimensions of the design and your title, however, yours appears to be a quarter-cut of a full 8 Reales coin, yes? Correct on the (colonial type) 1791-99 Charles IIII attribution... Cut pieces of 8 reales are less frequently encountered, and I'd definitely think it should be worth more than the cut pistareen pieces. Hard to value these precisely as compared to a regular coin - more of a "how much is it worth to you?" type of artifact... With a nice writeup of how/where you found it (the origins/provenance are obviously part of the draw with something like this), maybe $60-80 or so, rough estimate? Definitely a nice find in solid condition.

Yes, this is a 1/4 cut of a full 8 reale. :) A huge chunk, and very thick ... I should have included a shot of the edge of the coin. I'll try to find one.

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool 2 bits!

piece of eight.gif here is my first I didn't know the counterstamp meant much till I sent picture to mark parker of western and eastern treasure mag. it blew me away to find out it is worth around 5k in auctions is in best finds for 2012 in april mag.

This is (so far) my first and only Spanish silver find. It's a 1/4 cut piece, and in remarkably good condition. It must have been dropped soon after being cut, if not at the actual time it was cut.

02-19-11-cut-spanish-obverse.jpg
02-19-11-cut-spanish-reverse1.jpg

It is a precious find for me, and I will never part with it.

But I am curious ... how is something like this valued? Is there a "market" or interest in cut pieces?

Thanks, everybody!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shocked.gif
C
shocked.gif
o
shocked.gif
n
shocked.gif
g
shocked.gif
r