My First Spanish Silver and the Power of the Red Bag

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So who here has a lucky charm that they take metal detecting with them?

When my youngest son and I started metal detecting we were finding mainly relics with a Tesero Golden Max detector. One day as we were heading out to an old cellar he held up a small red jewelry bag and declared that he was going to put a coin in it. That day he found his first coin, a 1921 British halfpenny that we were super exited about. After that we started carrying the red bag when going out detecting. Over the next few years we found lots of coins, but over time, we drifted away from the red bag and our coin yields dropped. After a dry patch this year I started carrying th red bag again and our recoveries have gotten much better, except for last week when I forgot it and only relics were found. I put the bag in the truck so it would not be forgotten again and today went out for a quick walk down an old road close to my house that I have been over a number of times with my Fisher F75 LTD. Today I wanted to try or our new Garrett AT Max, and being sure to have the red bag, quickly picked up a 1770 -1775 British Half Penny, that took some time to determine what it was as well as my very first Spanish Silver, a 1726 1 Reale of Philip V from the Madrid mint. I am very pleased and hail the power of the red bag.

20190531_185534.jpg

20190531_184650.jpg

20190531_184415.jpg

20190531_170621.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 26

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin finds.
I gotta get myself red pouch like yours.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah me too...eBay red metal detecting pouches...darn I’ll pay 1000 I’m in a dry spell lol. Great finds cool backstory too

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it works don’t question it just keep doing it. Congrats on some nice old coins. Keep swingin.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hail yes!

Nice work Doug! Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the fine coin recoveries! :occasion14:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Ha! I suspect you are saying that tongue in cheek and that the success has more to do with an increased focus on location selection which I’d certainly have to give you props for with those finds. They are killer finds so if you told me you found them wearing red magic slippers, I’d have to say “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread