ScaredOfClowns

Apr 21, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both Sides.jpgIn the Hole.jpgSize Comparison.jpg

I hit a new spot in the woods today, and after about three hours of finding nothing but old shotgun headstamps and slugs, I was about to call it a day, then I got a clear silver signal at 8" down and out popped this little beauty. It's a 1781 Charles III Half Real - my first Spanish Real and my first pre-1800 silver coin. A Bucket List find for me for sure!

Last edited:
Upvote 24
I love how small of objects these amazing machines are able to sniff out. Great find, love the detail.

This is a pretty small coin, only 18mm across. I'm really impressed that my AT Pro picked it up, especially at about 8" down through roots and rocks. It was a nice 80 high tone, clear as a bell. Last year I found an even smaller 1852 trime - sometimes I wonder what I'd find with something like a CTX 3030, but I've been pretty happy with my Garrett.

Wow, that appears to be in good shape for being that old. Good work!

A slightly better picture of the front of the coin. King Charles' face is a little worn, unfortunately.

Front Detail.jpg

maybe the face of it seems worn, but the rest seems to be minty...trying not to let jealousy rule me here in Texas, but man, that is a GREAT find with the ATP.

Great piece of Spanish silver

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Congrats! That's Huge! Don't think we have those laying around here in Michigan!

Very very nice! I remember my first like it was yesterday....Spanish that is lol. Coin that is lol. Great job on that beauty

Congrats. Half real #1 on my want list. I see them posted quite often but by no means an easy find

What a good looking coin. Welcome to the club!

That one is a real peach. I always like those interesting tarnish patterns from the plant roots.

First Spanish is unforgettable. And I'm talking about the coin.... Lol.

Great find.

Great coin! Finding a "first" is always exciting. Congrats. -Lisa & John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back