My first Standing Liberty quarter

V

Vingamel

Saturday turned out to be a sparse day because I targeted sites that I knew would have very little recent activity.? In 5 hours I found zero clad, and a handful of junk.

However, the day was not a total loss as I found my first Standing Liberty.? Sadly, it's so worn, there is no date.
http://www.bradyboyd.freeservers.com/images/LibertyQuarterFront.jpg
http://www.bradyboyd.freeservers.com/images/LibertyQuarterBack.jpg

Upvote 0

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Congratulations Vin. Unfortunately your links are forbidden by Freeservers.com. Hope to see it sometime though~CO2

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Looks like three stars under that eagle, means type 1 SLQ, nice find! Get us a close up scan of that date and we'll see if we can make out a 1916 on it!

smokeydog

Greenie
Jan 23, 2005
Ogden Utah
Detector(s) used
My Posse.. Minelab 705 & E-trac, Ace 250, X1-sunray, Garrett Pro pointer, Coiltek Joey & 15" WOT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice find, i found a 1924 but i made the mistake of cleaning it? :-\
sorry this is my first pic posted :o

Attachments

• 1924.JPG
    1924.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 346

AU79

Apr 24, 2004
Standing Lib Quarters were produced between 1916 and 1930. In 1917 they changed the reverse to show three stars under the Eagle and on the obverse Liberty's body was was covered up in response to public outcry over that fact that she was revealing to much skin. (Oh Times have changed) In 1925 they started using a recessed date because excessive ware was occurring on the date mark. Your coin looks like it was minted in Denver so it would have been Minted in 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920 or 1924.

OP
OP
V

Vingamel

Well, here's the funny part of the story.

I found this in a very thorny area in a creek bed, and bled a lot. I could hardly move my detector due to the brush. Finally, I decided to head out, but a bramble caught hold of my headphones cord. I stopped to adjust my headphones on my head, and that's when I saw the coin sticking half out of the dirt.

I don't know much about coins, and when I first looked at it, I thought it was one of the new State quarters.

Where's a good place that hosts pictures for free? Obviously, Freeservers is not going to work for me.

OP
OP
V

Vingamel

Thanks for the hip hip hoorays. I found this in the old amusement park area I had talked about earlier, the one with the drained lake. I haven't checked out the lake, yet. The area is very large, so it should provide me plenty of finds for years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread