My first Tesoro and I named him Cortes ---

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Guys & Gals!
Last week I found this used Tesoro being advertised in Classifieds and bought it as a backup for my SE. I initially wanted the TeJon but found the used prices to be too high, approaching retail. Anyway, I've had a chance now to put a couple of hunts under my belt with Cortes and I'm finding him to be a rather likable chap. He certainly was easy to tame, not having any programs and buttons to push or learn to the fifth degree. He did, however run a little loose on the dials. I found it too easy for the dials to get turned and not to be aware of it. I found a remedy. I went to my local hardware store and bought some small o-rings. After piling on two under each knob, Cortes holds steady now! If you do this, be sure to replace your knobs "exactly" as they came off. Furthermore, I really like the notch switch. At first I thought it was just another worthless giz-mo but it actually works! This morning I used my SE for all the heavy duty detecting. Then, growing a little tired I grabbed Featherweight Contender Cortes to work along the sidewalks and around trees. I don't think there is any comparison depth-wise with the SE but the little fellow does work hard to "GET IT DONE!" I'm really impressed with my first Tesoro, welcome to my family Mr. Cortes!!!

**I went out again today, taking Cortes! After using him a while, I didn't like how the two o rings meshed against each other under each knob. So this afternoon, on the way home I stopped by the hardware store and picked up 4 of the heavy round o rings. They work much better. A tip; I suspect the set screws on the knobs will tend to work loose over time. I took the proper size allen wrench and stuffed it in the rear end tube of Cortes using a sliver of foam. The wrench will always be there should I need it. :)

GRB

6hcv7dv.jpg

Ain't he a pretty boy? :)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have a Deleon which is the little brother to the Cortes. I sometimes think I am missing the deeper good targets. Can you give me an HONEST answer as to how much deeper the SE is? And I don't mean to imply you are dishonest but I see so many posts about the SE and the DFX where users say they are finding silver coins at 2 feet!! I would appreciate your answer if you have time.

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Master Eagle!
Thanks for commenting.

The Cortes may actually be fooling me. It's my first Tesoro so I'm not accustomed to the silent threshold and weird target beeps. :) Today, I actually dug a nail and a pull tab at 9 inch or better found by Cortes. I'm finding the signals do get a little weird depending on how far down the object is with Cortes. It's probably just my inexperience in understanding what the machine is trying to tell me. I found about 20 coins with Cortes today and they probably averaged 6 inches or so. I was using the stock 8x10.

I'm growing accustomed to my SE, having used it a lot over the past 2 months. I probably have logged over 500 hours, no joke. And, I have a good assortment of coils. So, how deep can the SE go? The answer depends on a lot of factors IMO. What size coin, object, how long the item has been in the ground due to halo-ing, conditions of the ground (wet-dry), the position the coin sits in the ground. The largest single factor however IMO is how good the operator knows his machine and what it's trying to tell him. My experience has been, whether using the SE, Cortes, or any detector very deep objects ( coin size) don't give too many clues-sounds pass 6-8 inches. One must be tuned to hear the good sound in 4 directions (east-west-north-south). If the strength of the signal is the same in all four directions and you have your settings right; you probably have a good target. I've also learned to turn IRON MASK (Explorer SE) on-off-on to see if doing so effects the signal. I've found rusty nails will give you a good signal in two directions but not four. Personally, I have dug coins at 10 to 12 inches found by the SE but that was useing 12 to 14 inch coils and having SENSITIVITY set just above annoyance.

Thanks for letting me ramble. :)
GRB

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thank you for the info. I feel like I NEED to upgrade to a better detector but I am finding stuff with mine everytime I turn it on. So I don't know what to do. I go out with a friend that has and XLT and I can keep up with him. I also go with my sister who has an Xterra 30 and we both find stuff she is pretty new to the hobby so I find more than her almost all the time. I am just saving my $$$ to buy another machine. I am looking at the Quatro, the XLT the DFX and the SE. To me $500 is a LOT of money so trying to double that much is very scary for me. I used my friends XLT and I didn't feel as comfortable with it as I do my Deleon. A person who has been detecting in this area told me that most of the shallow silver coins have been found so to find more you will have to go deep. I don't know if this is true or not I just know I haven't found any old silver coins and only one silver 1957 quarter. I also wanted to buy Minelab so that when I go out with my friend we have different types of machines to help increase our odds of finding things. IS this a stupid idea?

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Master!
No, nothing's wrong with wishing to upgrade, we all want too! :)

I'm not familiar with the DeLeon but I do know folks who swear by that particular model. I think the secret to success with any of these wonder machines is in the user "using his detector no matter what the brand or model be and using it often." Here, on this very site you can read amazing stories about people finding billions of coins in a matter of hours using a Bounty Hunter that was purchased from Radio Shack for $99! Yes, the stories do get a little extreme. Lol!

You've got a good enough detector. Sometimes more depth is as easy as buying another coil. You can find them used all over the place for half retail generally. What size coils do you have? And, have you thought about the TeJon? Many folks say many a good thing about that particular model. It's a bargain for the price even at full retail of $559 or so. And, what's good about that particular machine if you ever wish to sell it you can do so immediately.

GRB

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
GoldenRoyBoy said:
Hello Master!
No, nothing's wrong with wishing to upgrade, we all want too! :)

I'm not familiar with the DeLeon but I do know folks who swear by that particular model. I think the secret to success with any of these wonder machines is in the user "using his detector no matter what the brand or model be and using it often." Here, on this very site you can read amazing stories about people finding billions of coins in a matter of hours using a Bounty Hunter that was purchased from Radio Shack for $99! Yes, the stories do get a little extreme. Lol!

You've got a good enough detector. Sometimes more depth is as easy as buying another coil. You can find them used all over the place for half retail generally. What size coils do you have? And, have you thought about the TeJon? Many folks say many a good thing about that particular model. It's a bargain for the price even at full retail of $559 or so. And, what's good about that particular machine if you ever wish to sell it you can do so immediately.

GRB

My only concern about the Tejon is that it is not a TID machine. Now don't get me wrong I have used a BH that was tone only and found stuff. But when I am in a hurry and only have 20-30 mins to squeeze in a little hunting (I have a very unforgiving spouse) I use the TID to the best of my advantage. I have used my Deleon to the point where I can tell you 8 times out of 10 what I have found before I dig if it is a coin, zinc pennies sometimes are difficult when shallow. I have the stock coil but have almost enough saved up to buy another coil. I am trying to decide on a small coil for trashy areas versus a different coil that will go deeper. Coils are something I am unfamiliar with and I am afraid I will buy the wrong thing used so I will probably buy from a dealer. What type of coil should I buy to get deeper penetration with? I am looking at a 5.75" coil for trashy areas (I think that is the size).

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Yes, I agree; target ID is a neat feature. Only problem is they often lie outrageously! LOl!

Yes, IMO there are at least 3 coils everyone needs;

(1) the stock coil (generally 8 to 10")

(2) a small coil (5.75 is a good choice for trashy areas) I wouldn't go any smaller.

(3) a 12 to 14" for the wide open areas. Pinpointing can be a problem with larger coils however.

One good thing about Tesoro, they don't try to gouge you on coil prices.

About the TeJon; I don't like the double discrimination but I do like the ground balancing for DISC. My Cortes only has manual GB for ALL METAL MODE, not DISC. I paid $450 for my Cortes delivered and it still has the original batteries, in the original box with extra coil and manual. Bargains are out there; you just need to keep your eyes open. Let me know which model you decide on and I'll watch too. If I were buying today, I'd buy the new Fisher 75. Kellyco would sell me one for $850. Now who's talking about upgrading? :)

GRB

dugpenny

Apr 24, 2007
GoldenRoyBoy said:
About the TeJon; I don't like the double discrimination but I do like the ground balancing for DISC.
GRB

The double discrimination is good to help determine targets but this takes practice.

The greatest thing about the trigger isn't the two discrimination modes but the ability to quickly shift from discrimination to all-metal mode with the pull of the trigger. This greatly aids in pinpointing and gives a wealth of info about the target.

Doug

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dugpenny said:
GoldenRoyBoy said:
About the TeJon; I don't like the double discrimination but I do like the ground balancing for DISC.
GRB

The double discrimination is good to help determine targets but this takes practice.

The greatest thing about the trigger isn't the two discrimination modes but the ability to quickly shift from discrimination to all-metal mode with the pull of the trigger. This greatly aids in pinpointing and gives a wealth of info about the target.

Doug

A pull of the trigger can be done with a flip of the thumb on the Cortes/Deleon. The best thing is that you rarely need to do that since the recovery is so fast that you can pinpoint fast and easy in the DISC mode.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread