My first time ever

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I bought my very first metal detector, a Bounty Hunter Elite 2200, from a guy who said he'd used it "a few times" at the beach but turned up nothing but pull tabs, bottle caps, and scrap foil. I spent some time yesterday practicing with it and scouring the forums and YouTube for tips and techniques.

Today, I had about 40 minutes before rounding up the kids, so I took it out to a local park. Mostly, I wanted to practice my swing and listen to tones from stuff in the dirt instead of stuff I'd put in envelopes. I kept it on its default all-metal and relied on discriminating by ear. There was a lot of stuff down there, but I dug nothing until I got what I thought was a good hit. Went around it a few times to make sure, and also to locate the thing. Then, dug a horseshoe-shaped plug, carefully opened it, and scanned around. Nothing in the plug, but tone in the hole. So I got out my rag and carefully transferred dirt from the hole. I missed it at first, but when I detected over the plug, the hole, and the soil on the rag, it was clearly in the dirt I scooped out. So I went through it more carefully, and pulled out my very first find from my very first hole: a 2005 dime! :icon_cheers:
042518-firstfind.jpg

After checking everything again and closing the hole back up nice and tight, I moved on. I went on to find another dime (1995), a penny (1975), and - my last find of the day - a hefty dog tag! The dog tag was maybe an inch down in the soil, but despite its size rang up as dime at 4-5". Everything else rang up pretty much as they were. Four holes dug, three coins and a dog tag found. The other stuff in the photo - a piece of coax cable and an old washer, were lying on the surface so I picked them up to dispose of properly. I'll be mailing the dog tag back to the owner.
042518-firstfinds.JPG

A park maintenance guy was out doing some cleanup while I was detecting, but other than exchanging polite nods, he got on with his stuff and I got on with mine.

A great first time!

Upvote 16

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great first time out!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well done! Sometimes the hardest thing about detecting is leaving the area with no traces of you having been there. Keep up the practice and shiny things will come your way.:occasion14:

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean work and good research. I find my best hunts are virgin spots, a great resource are your friends and neighbors with houses built before 1960. I never expected to get such a history lesson with this hobby. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the encouragement! I know 21 cents isn't a big deal, but it was my first so it'll always be pretty special. Yup, more to come!

A follow-up - I called the number on the dog tag and it turns out Lava is local now. I'll be reuniting the dog with its former tag tomorrow.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you’ll love metal detecting and your off to a good start. Returning the tag is very nice of you to do. I love treasurenet and its people and I’m sure you will too. Congratulations on some nice finds.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby MoonTzu, sounds like you'll be one of the "good" guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread