My First Time...How Did I Do?

tnfishdaddy

Oct 12, 2005
Upper East Tennessee
Alright. Went to another branch of my credit union and bought all they had. $717. Got home and saw that many of them had been marked already. The girl had said they had been there awhile when I got them. Figured I wouldn't find a thing. Heres how I did:

1965 x 2
1966 x 1
1967 x 1
1968 x 4

Also got a 1971s proof. Last but not least, a 1960 Franklin. Not a bad day. The proof jumped out. Easy to spot those. Now if I can figure out how to cash the clads back in so I can buy more. I think this could become addicting. Might have to start taking these in for my class to go through for me. I have a group of girls that always roll my loose coins for me. If I can get them to start looking for silver, I can go through much more. :) It is Marketing class. Surely I can write up a lesson plan to cover this in case the principal walks in. :)

Upvote 0

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did alot better that me i didn't even get my first silver half yet

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I've found that marked rolls might mean they have been searched but it seems like many of the searchers are unaware of the 1965-1969 40% halves...which is fine with me! ;D

OP
OP
tnfishdaddy

tnfishdaddy

Oct 12, 2005
Upper East Tennessee
All this talk of silver made me decide to finally sit down and figure out what is in my dads collection that he gave me. Turns out that I have been sitting on a lot of silver. There are cigar boxes of silver dimes, nickels, quarters, and halves. I pulled out the halves box and so far have found 20 Franklins. 22 x 1965-1969 and the big haul, 77 x 1964. I spent all afternoon searching and had all this hid downstairs and didn't even know it. I have got to get through this collection. Started looking at pennies tonight. 1909 vdb x2. So close. :) 13 rolls of 1943. The list goes on and on.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Thats a good haul. You will see much better days and worse. So anytime you are not skunked and are able to keep hunting is a good day.

Rev

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One option to get rid of them is just flat spend them. Keep some with you in your car, if you stop somewhere (convenience store, McDonalds, etc) and are just spending $10, $12 or whatever, just use the halves. It is a slow process, but for every one you spend that is one less you have to find a way to get rid of later. Also, keep a watch out for a bank that has a coin counting machine. Open an account there, buy halves elsewhere and take the halves to the bank with the coin counting machine. I have an account with Chase where I get my halves, but I also opened an account with Bank of America for the sole purpose of depositing halves. Just something to think about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread