My First Wheat Cent and a Question on Coin Shooting

Bank Runner

Jan 10, 2009
Hi everyone,

I went to a local park today to do some coin shooting, and found my first wheat, a 1942 D. :icon_thumright: I was pretty happy about that (I am in my 2nd month of MDing). I found a total of 55 coins for $1.80. This was a 3 hour undertaking, where 45 of the coins were 1 cent coins.

My question is, what strategy do you take coinshooting? Do you did all coin signals (including the zinc Lincoln signals), which takes much longer, so in turn you cover a smaller area? Do you only dig the solid nickel, copper Lincoln, dime and quarter signals, thus skipping over all of the zinc Lincoln signals. This would allow you to cover a larger area and potentially find more money even though coin count goes down...

The reason for the question is because many members make posts that acknowledge large clad counts (dollar amount) in short amounts of times. I am just wondering how it is done.

HH,
Bank Runner

Upvote 0

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Interesting responses. My recommendation would be to hunt with no disc. and go slow when you start finding wheat pennies. Dig out the layers of trash in the wheat areas and the ground will cough up some silver for you. But you have to be hunting on old ground. Going slow is probably the best advice I can give.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread