Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just posted this on another site, but saw PikesPeakCharlie fantastic posting, and figured some Colorado boys should do some ganging up.:laughing7:
(You East-Coasters always seem to find the killer old stuff.)
Anyway, a buddy and I who have been detecting together for a few years now have really gotten the bug for bottle digging.
We made some decent finds at a lake they recently drained out here in Denver, some straight-sided Cokes, bunch of hutches, and some pharms,
but with the huge area to dig, it was mainly luck of the draw.
Any of the houses we've hunted at have been pretty unproductive, a bottle here, a bottle there, nothing fantastic.
This Spring we did manage to dig at two construction sites, and were lucky enough to grab some decent stuff before the speed of the construction crews
reburied or carted off everything.
Where I dug this jug was only a two day window of digging. Stopped by Saturday morning, and starting to scan the area. I saw two ditches that had been dug, one that had a long brick wall that had been exposed, and the other where there was a small area of charcoal and glass fragments were showing through.
Plopped down at this area, and the first thing I saw was a greyish circle staring at me. Figured it was a brick of some sort, and decided to try and pop it out.
Scraping along one side, I saw some markings, what appeared to be a phone number. I knew immediately that I had a jug! Praying to the Gods the whole time, I slowly scraped it out of it's hole.
When I finally dug it out, I nearly had a heart attack! It's a "Court Palace Liquor House" half gallon jug, from Denver, and in very good shape. Later research showed that it's from 1905.
I then called my buddy, and told him to haul ass over to the site. Proceeded to spend about eight more hours digging, with nothing else to show for my troubles.
My partners day was just the opposite. he got to the site, and fruitlessly dug for about seven hours, finding nothing. Right around sunset, when it was starting to rain, he finally exposed another jug. he also pulled out a nice local half gallon whiskey.
Needless to say, we were there the following morning.
Early. Very early.
By now we could tell that it was a brick lined rectangular shaped "box", about eight feet long, and about four feet wide. The construction crew had torn out one side, exposing it for us. Mainly filled with old bricks, it was tough going trying to pull them all out, one by one.
Sunday wasn't as productive, jelly glasses, a few slicks, and only two hutches, mine a common "Standard", his a decent local Denver hutch.
It looked like the crew in the 1900's spent the day filling the box, and at the end, bought a couple of jugs, drank, then tossed on the top of the pile.
Any-who, here's a photo of my jug, and a copper Art Nouveau looking broach.
Enjoy!
Carl

P.S.,stopped by the site this weekend, the area is now covered over, with about five feet of added soil!

Attachments

• JUG.jpg
    JUG.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Art-Nouveau.jpg
    Art-Nouveau.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the jug club !!!!!!!! what a feelin huh !!! Carl ,my avatar is the first jug I dug,have been lucky enough to find quite a few through all these years. In 1992 I probed a pit that had 13 jugs thrown in it,only 4 were embossed,2 from Cripple Creek & 2 from Victor. Congrats !!!!!

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really Nice!! I think Both of these should be Banner! But I love old pottery And Art Nouveau! Thanks for sharing.

MinerGirl

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the jug club !!!!!!!! what a feelin huh !!! Carl ,my avatar is the first jug I dug,have been lucky enough to find quite a few through all these years. In 1992 I probed a pit that had 13 jugs thrown in it,only 4 were embossed,2 from Cripple Creek & 2 from Victor. Congrats !!!!!

Always loved your avatar, 13 jugs?! I have yet to truly probe and dig a pit, so far all my luck has been previously exposed pits or ash-pits, usually at construction sites.
But hey, it's still early in the season!
Thanks all for the replies,
Carl

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Man that a beauty for sure! Very nice dig. Most of the jugs we find here are not marked. Cool find!! jgas

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did I miss this post? Why wasn't this Jug on the banner? GREAT find!

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! Yeah, this area and the token section seem to be the red headed stepchildren of TreasureNet.
Thought about posting it in Today's Finds, then thought otherwise.
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread