Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 7 years of using a Fisher F5, and recently buying a F2, I sold my F5 and bought a Coinmaster GT. Part of the reason is that at 65, I have developed tremors that made it hard to hold down the elongated thin F5 PP button and the Whites is wider, plus if I just tap it it goes into AM. A trigger would have been nice on a Fisher, but I just didn't have the bucks for a F75.

One trouble I am having is getting used to the CMGTs ID screen. A coin hits good. Anything else seems to be all over the segment categories, and if I have multitone on, it sounds like a terrible song playing with all the different sounds. The F5 had 4 tones, and notching iron made it 3 tones. If I go single tone, I have to watch the display more often.

It does seem a tad deeper than the F5. But the deeper targets move all over the segemnts until I can get the coil about 6-7 inches from the target, then the ID stabilizes.

Is this normal and something one has to get used to?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VID's can show up incorrectly on deep targets over 6-7 inches especially in certain soil conditions. Sounds like it's working normal to me. Sometimes turning down the sensitivity a bit will help false signals and make sure you have it ground balanced properly.

OP
OP
Phantasman

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VID's can show up incorrectly on deep targets over 6-7 inches especially in certain soil conditions. Sounds like it's working normal to me. Sometimes turning down the sensitivity a bit will help false signals and make sure you have it ground balanced properly.

Makes sense. On the F5 if I had the gain set just light of chatter, it would pick up stray signals as well. The F2 can be turned all the way up remain stable.

I thought this unit had a running ground balance feature. I do have a button called Trac Lock. When I press it a lock appears on the screen. I press it again and the lock disappears and a word saying Trac flashes all the time. I assumed it was tracking at that time. It didn't come with a manual, so I guess I'll go to Whites and download one.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes sense. On the F5 if I had the gain set just light of chatter, it would pick up stray signals as well. The F2 can be turned all the way up remain stable. I thought this unit had a running ground balance feature. I do have a button called Trac Lock. When I press it a lock appears on the screen. I press it again and the lock disappears and a word saying Trac flashes all the time. I assumed it was tracking at that time. It didn't come with a manual, so I guess I'll go to Whites and download one.

They have a really good forum also for the White's series. You can find a lot of specific answers for your detector on there. Good luck!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After 7 years of using a Fisher F5, and recently buying a F2, I sold my F5 and bought a Coinmaster GT. Part of the reason is that at 65, I have developed tremors that made it hard to hold down the elongated thin F5 PP button and the Whites is wider, plus if I just tap it it goes into AM. A trigger would have been nice on a Fisher, but I just didn't have the bucks for a F75.

One trouble I am having is getting used to the CMGTs ID screen. A coin hits good. Anything else seems to be all over the segment categories, and if I have multitone on, it sounds like a terrible song playing with all the different sounds. The F5 had 4 tones, and notching iron made it 3 tones. If I go single tone, I have to watch the display more often.

It does seem a tad deeper than the F5. But the deeper targets move all over the segemnts until I can get the coil about 6-7 inches from the target, then the ID stabilizes.

Is this normal and something one has to get used to?

Congrats on the Whites Coin Master GT Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies! It is a good one. Agree with Rob on the VID!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread