my friend said this

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
my friend said if you attach another battery to your metal detector this equals more power more power = more depth he claims that this works because the circut boards have margins built in what do you think

disclaimer neither my friend the metal mod man or myself (strike it rich) I wish) can be held accountable should you try this mod and blow you metal detector to pieces or otherwise find yourself in a rage

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
From the Tesoro "Tech Tips" page on the company website:

In relation to batteries, I will mention one other thing that has happened many more times than most of you reading this will believe. Whether it is from a lack of understanding or actually thinking it might increase performance, many owners of instruments using two long packs of 4 AA batteries such as the Lobo, Golden Sabre II, etc., have substituted two 9V batteries in place of the two 6V packs. The unit is designed to operate on 12 volts and they try to operate it on 18 volts! I’m not saying this to make you laugh, because it’s certainly not funny when we receive these units with blown voltage regulators and other circuitry damage from the excessive voltage.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
strike it rich said:
my friend said if you attach another battery to your metal detector this equals more power more power = more depth he claims that this works because the circut boards have margins built in what do you think

disclaimer neither my friend the metal mod man or myself (strike it rich) I wish) can be held accountable should you try this mod and blow you metal detector to pieces or otherwise find yourself in a rage

It WOULD produce more power for a fraction of a second then burn up some of the power circuitry in the detector, and you would have a nice NON-working detector.

Strike,
Do you lie awake at night thinking up these questions to ask or are you just kind of weirdly inquisitive??? :P

notanothertodd

Aug 11, 2007
Sounds like your friend has found the secret recipe for magic smoke. Increase voltage with a set resistance increases current!! POOOF Magic Spoke :P

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be very suspicious of friends telling you things like this. You'll save money and grief by doing so. LOL
Bill

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Some of the biggest idiots in the world... are friends....

The voltage regulator in your detector would regulate the voltage back down to what the decector was designed to run on... until it overloaded from the excessive input voltage and if you were lucky, blew a fuse, if you were not lucky, burned something up, now you have a nice repair bill, oh and they are NOT idiots at the factory, they know what you did to cause that kind of damage, you can also kiss any warranty you had goodbye at that point as well.

Listen to the manufacturer, they know much more about the product they sell, than any friend would.

Aaron

S

stefen

As Ascholten stated, 'Some of the biggest idiots in the world... are friends....'

Think about this, if the manufacturer'd design engineers thought they could increase the depth finding ability of a unit, they would have designed the circuitry accordingly.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yup, it would not work and would fry your machine.

DeHunter

Greenie
Dec 15, 2005
Sussex County, Delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites Sprectrum XLT
notanothertodd said:
Sounds like your friend has found the secret recipe for magic smoke. Increase voltage with a set resistance increases current!! POOOF Magic Spoke :P

Aahh Yess, The magic smoke !.. I guess you all know, that all electronic devices run on smoke... The smoke is kept inside and will make the equipment work very well. That is, until you let the smoke out. So , do not do anything to let that smoke out, like adding extra batteries or just shorting things out....

ps. kidding of course, sort of...

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I put dish soap in my gas to get my engine squeeky clean,besides the bubbles out my tail pipe is so way cool.

:P ::) :P

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
If it works;don't fix it.
If it dosen't work;get it fixed by a pro.
There is no 'Magic Button or Screw that's going to make your machine invincable.
If there was ,the mfg would have put it in already and charged more for it.

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Similar to overclocking a computer. Increasing the voltage CAN increase performance! However the only way to do this properly is in very small incremental steps until it gets unstable, then back off. If you try and boost the computer too much, it will just fry, melting the cpu into slag.

Same would be true for a MD. If there were a way to increase voltage by very small amounts it might be worth trying, but increasing it like suggested would almost certainly fry the machine!

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
stanjam said:
Similar to overclocking a computer. Increasing the voltage CAN increase performance! However the only way to do this properly is in very small incremental steps until it gets unstable, then back off. If you try and boost the computer too much, it will just fry, melting the cpu into slag.

Same would be true for a MD. If there were a way to increase voltage by very small amounts it might be worth trying, but increasing it like suggested would almost certainly fry the machine!
I tried my friends suggestion stuck an extra battery on old detector after about 5 minutes smoke started coming out but in the 4min 59 seconds before it was stable and detected way better

S

stefen

I had a friend that tried to improve his hindsight...

So he stuck his head up his a** :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
stefen said:
I had a friend that tried to improve his hindsight...

So he stuck his head up his a** :thumbsup:
could it be the same pal ? Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread