My Garage Sale Finds bought my Garrett Ace 400

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long story short.... Over the last summer I bought several items at garage sales with the intent on resaling them for profit. I bought a Nikon DSLR Lens for $15 and sold it for $60. I bought a larger Tasco Telescope for $10 and sold it for $50. I bought an old Shop Smith for $75 with 4 tools attachments and sold it for $200. I bought an old Tackle box with lures and gear for $5 and sold it for $40. Profit of $245.00 and I bought the Ace 400 for $239.00 (Open Box/Unused) And here I am. LOL Now I need to sell some more to finance my Garrett PinPointer. That is how I will fund my Hobby.

Anyone need a Band Saw? LOL

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks KingKid

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_outstanding.gif
Nice buy. Now, jump over to Garrett Owner’s Manuals! and grab a copy of your Owner's Manual...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where did you sell the items that you found ? Ebay ?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"....Profit of $245.00 and I bought the Ace 400 for $239.00 And here I am. LOL Now I need to sell some more to finance my Garrett PinPointer. That is how I will fund my Hobby....."

Way to Go!!! Let one hobby fund another!!!

I used to fly R/C planes. When I retired, there wasn't as strong an interest in that field, but after 10 years, I'd acquired a lot of kits, parts, and supplies.... :tongue3: My big interest had turned into funding my workshop's costs to wire, insulate, and finish out the interior so it could be used in average comfort year round. There is a yearly multi-state attraction. a giant R/C Swap Meet, it brings campers, hotel reservations, and long drive R/C people from as far away as Kansas. So, for about 4 years, I bought a "vendor table" and sold "anything" related to that hobby.... When General Dynamics's project was de-funded of the A-12 (single pilot flying triangle), from a local salvage business, I bought dated, signed, and aircraft ready, woven carbon fiber parts and Titanium bolts and fasteners by the pound. For $10 a reel, I even bought 13 reels of 6" wide and .007 thick carbon fiber. While it wasn't qualified for full scale aircraft with it being out of refrigeration and the "Pre-Preg." binding resin cured by slow daytime temperatures, to an R/C flyer that stuff was like buying gold for pennies on the dollar. Each reel had more than 300 meters. That stuff is lightweight when glued atop spars and flat control surfaces, but has the strength of steel... I sold it for $2 a running foot or 11 feet for $20.

I also bought one of Garrett's pin pointers when they first came out. Be sure you're not buying a "fake one" which were sold on Ebay.... You'll really like it; the 9v battery lasts a whole season for me.

Keep up the great funding ways!

Bill

Last edited:

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow where did you find Ace 400 that low? Most I see are over 300, was it used?

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"....Profit of $245.00 and I bought the Ace 400 for $239.00 And here I am. LOL Now I need to sell some more to finance my Garrett PinPointer. That is how I will fund my Hobby....."

Way to Go!!! Let one hobby fund another!!!

I used to fly R/C planes. When I retired, there wasn't as strong an interest in that field, but after 10 years, I'd acquired a lot of kits, parts, and supplies.... :tongue3: My big interest had turned into funding my workshop's costs to wire, insulate, and finish out the interior so it could be used in average comfort year round. There is a yearly multi-state attraction. a giant R/C Swap Meet, it brings campers, hotel reservations, and long drive R/C people from as far away as Kansas. So, for about 4 years, I bought a "vendor table" and sold "anything" related to that hobby.... When General Dynamics's project was de-funded of the A-12 (single pilot flying triangle), from a local salvage business, I bought dated, signed, and aircraft ready, woven carbon fiber parts and Titanium bolts and fasteners by the pound. For $10 a reel, I even bought 13 reels of 6" wide and .007 thick carbon fiber. While it wasn't qualified for full scale aircraft with it being out of refrigeration and the "Pre-Preg." binding resin cured by slow daytime temperatures, to an R/C flyer that stuff was like buying gold for pennies on the dollar. Each reel had more than 300 meters. That stuff is lightweight when glued atop spars and flat control surfaces, but has the strength of steel... I sold it for $2 a running foot or 11 feet for $20.

I also bought one of Garrett's pin pointers when they first came out. Be sure you're not buying a "fake one" which were sold on Ebay.... You'll really like it; the 9v battery lasts a whole season for me.

Keep up the great funding ways!

Bill

That's fantastic. I too used to fly R/C aircraft. I gave all my stuff to my Son.
As for the Pinpointer, I will probably get it off Amazon Prime. Unless someone knows a better less expensive source.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow where did you find Ace 400 that low? Most I see are over 300, was it used?

Yea, I got extreamly lucky. I was on Amazon Prime and they sell them for $339.99. I thought that was good but I noticed that right under the one for the $339.99 there was a blue link that said something about More Buying Choices. I saw used and new. All the new ones were the same as the Amazon ones. So for kicks I looked under the Used. The first one I saw there was the los=west price of $239.00 Free Shipping... I read the Description and it said Open Box, Never Used. All accessories included. It had buyer protection so I pulled the trigger. For a $100.00 discount I would give it a shot. When it arrived the box seal was broken but it had never been unpacked except the head unit had the batteries already installed. Everything else like manual head set and the coil was still packaged as new. I am very happy and it has the full warrantee. I keep looking and haven't found one that cheap again, but I plan on looking from time to time and will pass it along if I see it.
View attachment IMG_20170106_110117194.jpg [

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A long story short.... Over the last summer I bought several items at garage sales with the intent on resaling them for profit. I bought a Nikon DSLR Lens for $15 and sold it for $60. I bought a larger Tasco Telescope for $10 and sold it for $50. I bought an old Shop Smith for $75 with 4 tools attachments and sold it for $200. I bought an old Tackle box with lures and gear for $5 and sold it for $40. Profit of $245.00 and I bought the Ace 400 for $239.00 And here I am. LOL Now I need to sell some more to finance my Garrett PinPointer. That is how I will fund my Hobby.

Anyone need a Band Saw? LOL

Thanks for reading!
welcome to the hobby and community . You will find everyone to be kind here. Do not need a bandsaw but my Delta grinder was smelling funny/ I think it's toast! It is fun to trade around and make deals.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the hobby and community . You will find everyone to be kind here. Do not need a bandsaw but my Delta grinder was smelling funny/ I think it's toast! It is fun to trade around and make deals.
Yea, so far I have felt very welcome even though I have no idea yet what I am doing. If I hade a grinder I would work out a deal with you cheap. But I only have one and I need it. LOL

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get that ace to a few tot lots and you will have a good head start toward that pin pointer lol

KandiKlover

Jan 7, 2017
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (got for free)
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yea, I got extreamly lucky. I was on Amazon Prime and they sell them for $339.99. I thought that was good but I noticed that right under the one for the $339.99 there was a blue link that said something about More Buying Choices. I saw used and new. All the new ones were the same as the Amazon ones. So for kicks I looked under the Used. The first one I saw there was the los=west price of $239.00 Free Shipping... I read the Description and it said Open Box, Never Used. All accessories included. It had buyer protection so I pulled the trigger. For a $100.00 discount I would give it a shot. When it arrived the box seal was broken but it had never been unpacked except the head unit had the batteries already installed. Everything else like manual head set and the coil was still packaged as new. I am very happy and it has the full warrantee. I keep looking and haven't found one that cheap again, but I plan on looking from time to time and will pass it along if I see it.
View attachment 1399999 [

Good photo I like your new detector. Jealous here. The used/refurd section on amazon is great, I've gotten a few great deals on neat stuff too. That's only 20$ more than if you were to buy a new ace 250. Great job.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy the garrett pin pointer. They are pretty bullet proof. You have to be a Charter member to offer to sell but you can buy as a member. Check out the metal detecting section! I know this is a big site with lots of fun things to do. Have fun sir enjoy the retirement and keep busy playing.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's to you all the way around Retired Fire from another Retired Firefighter. You did well in the buying and selling and the purchase of Garrett's new Ace 400. Best of Luck to you with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread