My God-son and the ASEK survival knife.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Tomorrow, my 12 year old God-son will receive his first ASEK survival knife. I will train him in the art of the tool, and using various techniques in using this tool to survive given most situations, given the massive abilities of this military knife. He will become a man tomorrow. He will be able to open a can of pee's. :icon_thumright: (he's a good kid and will love this present).

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mikeofaustin said:
Tomorrow, my 12 year old God-son will receive his first ASEK survival knife.

What??? You plan on giving him one every year, and for how long will you keep this practice up :dontknow:

Be careful, he may plan on using using next years knife on you :tongue3:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
"Can of pee's"...snigger snigger at the thought!

I don't see what's wrong with the time honoured soldiers can opener...a bayonet and a rock? :tongue3:

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
So, it went well. At first, he was just exited that it was a sharp knife. Then I explained the many uses of it. drill, hammer, can-opener, spear, etc.,etc... I think he realized that things are a lot more than what they are. But, he sure loved the spear idea. He kept in on his belt all night. Even slept with it.
Now, I have to deal with grandma... and why do I feel like I could give him such a thing. But, in the end, I feel I taught him well. I told him about the problems that could occur with 'accidents'. He also agreed that it should remain in dads room UNTIL the apocalypse comes. But, he couldn't stop talking about mounting it on the end of a stick and spearing a big bear.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Red James cash said:
Now, I have to deal with grandma...

Youll be doing that when you get him his first rifle :laughing9:

Funny you mentioned that becuase I explanined the whole m1a rifle to him that night too. Perhaps when he's 16.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
:thumbsup:

Hes old enough for a bb gun, maybe a .22 if hes mature enough. ;D hell my first gun was a .44 pistol,i was 15 :laughing9:

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Red James cash said:
:thumbsup:

Hes old enough for a bb gun, maybe a .22 if hes mature enough. ;D hell my first gun was a .44 pistol,i was 15 :laughing9:

Kids are smart. I was smart when I was young. it's important that you teach them young, when they are able to pick up a rifle, so they can learn about how important it is to respect this tool.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds of my latest interaction with a grandson. I took him to some railroad tracks and put some coins on the rails. We came back some hours later and found that a train had come by and flattened them out. He thought it was pretty neat. A few days later he told me that his Dad, my son, had told him I was a bad influence. :dontknow:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Reminds of my latest interaction with a grandson. I took him to some railroad tracks and put some coins on the rails. We came back some hours later and found that a train had come by and flattened them out. He thought it was pretty neat. A few days later he told me that his Dad, my son, had told him I was a bad influence. :dontknow:

Way to go grandpa :icon_thumleft:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Packerbacker. Apparently it is against some law to put pennies on a rail these days. You could derail the train or interfere with national security, I guess. Mike, also inform that boy that with knives, you always have a greater chance of cutting yourself with a dull one.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
once long ago = me and the wife were pressed into "baby setting " duty by her brother and his wife * , well the wife had "commited" to things that day that required her to go and without "tag a longs" -so it was just me and my young niece stuck at home --so we played "big game" hunter on my play station 2 for awhile in the morning -- i would set up the shot and have her hit the x to fire -- that afternoon we went to Micky Dees and then went to the "real woods" a nearby deer hunting area -- we drove down the road looking at wild animal tracks , spotting some I stopped and told her to get out of the truck and see em --see said but the wild animals will get me like the game * --I said i got my bowie knife * and I'll get em and protect you --so she got out and we tracked the deer tracks -- while doing so she saw "deer poopie"--later on we went into a large feild and she sat on my lap and "drove the truck" as I worked the gas and brake ,

needless to say --my brother in law and his wife were less than impressed when they showed up pick her up and she proudly said --guess what I saw today DEER POOPIE !! --(funny thing they never seemed to need "baby setting" help after that) --ps the driving thing we didn't tell her folks about till this year -- ;D

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats is a ok knife, i would try the mk3 mod o seal dive knife, that baby served well in iraq and everything in between, and is not handle heavy, just my opinon, hope he learns well

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a 800 psi gas cartridge wasp "dive knife" can be fun ( not cheap however - $500)--- if anything attacks you you stab it and blow it up like a gaint balloon till it burst . -- works great on sharks aslo works on dry land too for dangerous critters and bad guys

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You do not have to worry about a kid who has been taught the correct way to handle a Firearm or a Knife... Its the ones who haven't been around them or Taught the proper ways to handle these items, so teach Him well !! I think you got him the right thing, I trust my sons, ages 14-21 with a Gun more than most adults I've been around... Because I know who taught them...

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I had a trap line when I was 8. Before & after school you ran your line. I had a .22 single shot. My kids were taught firearms safety when they were 6 yrs old.
It's not the kids that have been taught how to handle a firearm ya need to worry about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread