Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Goldmaxx should be here this week - Seems I'll be one of a select few

Wanted a back up to my explorer, have always had two, but this time I went a different route and decided to try an XP Goldmaxx. Not sure how much I'll use it but might be good in the fresh plowed fields which my Minelab doesn't like quite as much as settled ground. I also bought some Explorer goodies so there goes my budget... for the next 5 years! :D

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Goldmaxx should be here this week - Seems I'll be one of a select few

oldbill said:
In Europe the gold Maxx is respected see Garys report. Good Luck with the new detecdtor! Bill

http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/goldmax.htm

Thanks Bill. I'm sure I'll find some use for it. Fun getting a new toy, been a long time.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

IP,
Good luck with your new machine. :thumbsup:

I recall they call it hammered hover in the UK. ;D

Very well respected machine. Not so known here in Sweden, but none the less.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Eu_citzen said:
IP,

I'm hoping it's a button blaster here. (blast out of iron into my pouch) :thumbsup:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Iron Patch said:
Eu_citzen said:
IP,

I'm hoping it's a button blaster here. (blast out of iron into my pouch) :thumbsup:
Yeah I hear you, it seems like a superb machine in iron. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron , Will be waiting to hear the results of your Goldmaxx.............................Jim_K........

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

How's that Goldmax treating you? After seeing all the finds it's making in the UK I'm curious.
Randy

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tried it but just not for me. Seems I forgot the benefit or really knowing and enjoying a detector (my explorer) and was probably a little foolish thinking I could learn another unit well just being a back up. It's my opinion it's a good detector but still can't do what my Explorer can for the sites I hunt. Even the experienced Goldmaxx users won't argue for depth, and it might do a little better in iron but only with a lot of digging and a good share of iron. I don't think any unit comes close to the Explorer when it comes to an Explorer's disc. so I will sell the GM and have all the Explorer goodies I want. I can see why people would like the Goldmaxx, just not someone who has used an Explorer since late 2000 and still thinks over all it's the best.

PS.. The bottom line was just having too much money tied up in a back up unit. Had it been six or seven hundred I would have kept it but will not for what it cost me all together.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

O dear !

A perfect example of the drawbacks of internet/forum information.

There's two versions of the Goldmaxx and then either can have been modified by re chipping.

I have the original Goldmaxx with the chip replacement to improve iron I.D. I tried the newer version Goldmaxx Power and for me it did not warrant the extra expence. Both are intended for use on plough soil to recover the super thin hammered silver coins that are much sort after in Europe.
Pasture performance is not great. For extra depth on larger/thicker coins (more like you have in the U.S.) you need one of the lower frequency range models (200,250, Adventis, GMaxx etc). GMaxx is a low frequency version of the Goldmaxx.
Beach performance with all these machines is poor as they can't cope with wet salt.

So the Goldmaxx and Goldmaxx Power are for a specific use and are not good all rounders.

The Goldmaxx Mk 1 has the advantage that at a flick of a switch you can change it from all metal with some iron discrimination to a full range motion discriminator similar to the non metered Tesoro's. You can't do this with the slightly deeper Power version and on some sites the normal discriminating motion mode of the Mk 1 is deeper than the single search mode of the Power.

No XP at this time has a ground control so you can't ground balance as with most detectors in this price range. There is instead a degree of discrimination that can be used to balance out the ground minerals. This is not to effective in many areas.

A further drawback is that all the Power and some of the Mk I's have the ability to use wireless headphones. This makes the use of these detectors in the U.S. illegal as the transmitter is part of the circuitboard and is on all the time.

I like my Mk 1 but also have a T2. This offers G.B., a similar fast recovery speed and is a better all rounder.

I've just sold a Whites V3. A "perfect detector" its reported as on some forums. Over priced and the detectors I already have can outperform it on every site but the internet hype and those who have to have the latest of everything will push sales. I bought the T2 and a Fisher 75 and ran the two together. The T2 I kept, the Fisher went, but if I was working U.S. sites I would have given the edge to the F75 and kept that one.

Local conditions and the targets your after can make a good machine seem average and vice versa.

Brian

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

.....SORRY TO HEAR THAT YOU SOLD IT......I saw a WaterProof Version on Galveston Island a while back and was impressed with what it was doing..............But at $1500.00 plus I would probably never get one!!........HH.......

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now thats a little weird because the one place the Goldmaxx fails utterly is on wet sand. Even on damp sand the signal narrows to a tiny blip and that at not much depth.

The only XP that ran O.K.'ish was the original 100 and that is the worst land performer of the whole range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions