My good deed for the day, maybe Detectorists arent just those junk pickers.

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
My good deed for the day, maybe Detectorists aren't just those junk pickers.

Somehow the fact that I am a detectorist got around and I received a call last fall from a neighbor. The neighbor reports that she lost a silver charm that she purchased at the Vatican and it had sentimental value, she wanted to know if I would look for it. A day or so later my son came in the house with a container of homemade chocolate chip cookies, and really good ones at that! It was a little incentive from the neighbor. Unfortunately the weather turned cold and the ground froze before I could go and search for it.

I drove past today and saw the neighbor out and I asked if I could look for it today. Since being lost we had snow, rain, leaves were raked over the area, and the grass was cut. She took me out to where she thought that it was lost and I looked for about 20 minutes with no sucess. Had I been looking for matchbox cars or pennies I would have ahead of the game. She then said that maybe she lost it the day before and didn't realize it, that would put it an another spot. I tried that spot and within 5 minutes it was found! A penny sized silver St. Francis charm looking like the day that it was lost!

Needless to say, she was thrilled as she stood there shaking with excitement...... maybe we're not just those people the movies make fun of searching the beach.... of course WE all knew that already. Just doing my neighborly duties....BTW... I'm getting more cookies :)!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My good deed for the day, maybe Detectorists aren't just those junk pickers.

Very Nice of you hotrod53 !

Thanks for a Job well Done !

Jeff

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: My good deed for the day, maybe Detectorists aren't just those junk pickers.

Great job! Cookies are really good incentive too! lol

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove

GREAT JOB and this is what gives us all a good name. congrats and hope you find the gold .

J.R.B.

Mar 21, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's 6000

It's a good feeling to find and give back a sentimental treasure. Good job. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
hotrod53

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other

I saw the neighbor walking her dog last night with her husband. She stopped me getting out of my truck and prowdly showed me that she replaced the missing ring on the top and was wearing it again.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

WTG! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Great Job...and exactly what we need to counter some of the negative image that's been out there. I never turn down an opportunity to help.

Last summer, during a particularly cranky time for me, I just got fed up with the smart ass teenagers beep..beeping" me. I walked over to them and asked them if they wanted to hear WHAT it really sounded like. I pulled the earphone jack out and located some quarters they lost...and showed them the VID indicating quarters. They were thrilled and amazed (and I wasn't so angry anymore). I then pulled out a silver ring out of my pouch..and they all oohed an ahhhed.

HH Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread