My grandfathers gift (pic heavy)

fourwayflashers

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Burlington Ontario Canada
Primary Interest:
Other
My grandfather's gift (pic heavy)

My grandfather died in 1988, during which time my grandmother was left alone in her house. We recently moved her to a seniors home so we had to pa I up her house. I was in my grandfathers room and going through some boxes, I came across what I can only describe as the most politically incorrect Native Indian piggy bank.

image by mikedachuk, on Flickr

Inside, I found a bunch of coins. Mostly they were from Canada, but a bunch of them were foreign and quite interesting. I thought I'd share them with you.

And the obverse...

And the obverse

And the obverse

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer bank

OP
OP
F

fourwayflashers

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The funny thing about the bank is that although I love it, my son was terrified of it and he wouldn't be able to go to bed unless I moved the "minion". If it was in the same room as him I'd have to move it.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't make out the year for your Napoleon half-franc or the mintmark, but there are lots of rarities out there (many date/mintmark combinations have a mintage under 50,000 and a few have under 10,000) so post the date and mintmark on it. Its also in good shape, which is also a plus.

Your '43 shilling and '38 florin (2 shillings) are both 50% silver, however these are common coins and sell only for scrap silver.

Your Poland coin also looks to be silver.

The rest all look to be cu-ni.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funny thing about the bank is that although I love it, my son was terrified of it and he wouldn't be able to go to bed unless I moved the "minion". If it was in the same room as him I'd have to move it.

Your post reminded me of this book that I was terrified of when I was a kid. I think it was a combination of the book and Mr. Rogers land of make believe :tongue3:

scary.jpg

OP
OP
F

fourwayflashers

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't make out the year for your Napoleon half-franc or the mintmark, but there are lots of rarities out there (many date/mintmark combinations have a mintage under 50,000 and a few have under 10,000) so post the date and mintmark on it. Its also in good shape, which is also a plus.

Your '43 shilling and '38 florin (2 shillings) are both 50% silver, however these are common coins and sell only for scrap silver.

Your Poland coin also looks to be silver.

The rest all look to be cu-ni.

The Napoleon Demi Franc is dated 1813 with a mint mark of A - Not sure if these pics help.

1813 Demi Franc by mikedachuk, on Flickr

and

1813 Demi Franc - Face by mikedachuk, on Flickr

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Any silver in the Canadians?

Could I have better pictures for each coin? You can e-mail them to me (e-mail sent by PM).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread