My heart wasnt in hunting the woods today - until....

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
My heart wasn't in hunting the woods today - until....

Mark was right, it's easy to get spoiled when you have good productive turf hunts. Today we headed out into the woods once again, meeting up with Guy (Bucnrut) for the first time. About 25 minutes into the hunt, I got a weird signal that looked pennyish, with a little bit of dime. :tard: It was a solid repeating signal, so I went after it. About 6 inches down, I found a dark disk that I thought was a penny. I rubbed the dirt off of it and saw "One Dime", and knew I had a Barber - a 1090 O - err... a 1909 'O'. I've never had a dime ring up so far over to the left on the Smartfind scale. There must have been some iron in the area.

Barber small.jpg

I adjusted my discrimination, opening it up so I wouldn't miss any others like it and hunted on, coming up with a copper looking tag that says "Pure Milk Co." and "Ravenswood".

Milk tag small.jpg

About 30-40 minutes later, I got another signal and dug up a big old pocket knife. Then about a foot away, I got a weird deep signal. It sounded like it was trying to be silver, but wasn't a sweet, true silver sound. I had been digging a bunch of little bottle caps that are about dime size (little booze bottles?), and I thought it might be another one of those. Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find a dateless SLQ about 11 inches down. Then I saw why it wasn't a clear tone - there was a buff in the same hole! I hunted a while longer, just so I could dig up a few more of those little bottle caps. Two SLQ's and two Barber dimes in a week - that's a first for me.

SLQ small.jpg
Buff small.jpg

It was a good day to get out in the woods after all. It was nice to finally meet Guy after countless PM's back and forth - he lives around the corner and a few houses down from me. It's great that each one of us went home with a good find, too. :)

Finds small.jpg

Thanks for checking out my finds. I hope that this is a preview of what's in store for everyone at the hunt tomorrow! HH all!!
Neil

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My heart wasn't in hunting the woods today - until....

On fire. . . again :thumbsup: Great hunt Neil! It was nice to get out
with you & Bucnrut. . . we'll do it again soon :wink:

Not too many days of woods hunting left. . . I keep checking
the clothes for ticks before I hop in the car. . . so far so good.

That's your second Variety I SLQ in less than a week (in case you're counting ::))
If it has a D or S mintmark it's ANOTHER 1917. . . way cool!
If there's no mintmark. . . I'd say 1916 :tongue3:

Take care,
Mark

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man you had a great day!!!!! :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kimsdad said:
I rubbed the dirt off of it and saw "One Dime", and knew I had a Barber - a 1090 O.

You must have been so excited to find that old of a coin,,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 919 years wow

You guys are killing me..... ( SILVER NEIL )
( Can I have the one I dug ) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WTG High Fives

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on (Not Only) those super silver finds,but especially on something you said that is real important..."It was nice to finally meet Guy after countless PM's back and forth - he lives around the corner and a few houses down from me. It's great that each one of us went home with a good find, too. "
I had hunted by myself for 12 years....Then I found a couple of guys to hunt with......I got along super well with one of them,and we hunted alot with each other that year,and even called each other every other day threw the winter........Then in the Spring of the next year......
(After Finally getting to go south for a week,and make some Nice Civil War Finds) he took sick and died in 3 weeks...........But in the year I knew him..........We developed a bond ,and a close friendship,and I still miss his company................"Find a silver, Golden a minute,,,,,Find a Friend .......Golden For Life"............................R.I.P.....STEVE
Great luck You've been having..........Keep it Up......................Congrats Again

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Whoa! TWO TYPE ONE SLQ's in a week! Awesome! And another boy scout knife!

See ya'll there today, wake me up when I get there!

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Nice digs in the woods ,,, you guys must have a killer spot there!!!,,, thanks for the show,,,,

arthur

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super finds KD :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike - IL

Nov 17, 2007
West Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE,Explorer XS and Sovereign Elite

Love those SLQ's they sure are hard to come by. Great finds!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Really nice finds Neil! You guys are making me want to get back to those woods soon,,, rain or no rain. :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

I think I'm hitting the wrong woods! Nice finds, all of those coins look great. I'm looking forward to getting a hunt in with you guys again soon.

Joe

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1

WHOA! Sweeet finds Neil!! That's a great barber and an SLQ and buff to boot? You're havin' some good luck bud.

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Thanks for all the great replies, guys! :wink:

Yeah, it's hunts like this that both spoil me and motivate me to keep going during the dry times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread