My Holes Are Mysteriously Reopening???

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I have noticed several times now that a day or two after I detect my backyard (about 2 acres) that someone or something is pulling my plugs back up out of the ground reopening my holes. Has this happened to any of you??? I can't see any little animal tracks in the dirt that is back out of the holes either. This has really got me stumped. I don't see why any animal would have any reason to redig my holes for me? If anyone knows whats going on please clue me in.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Well if thats the case they are experts at not leaving a single track in bare dirt. I think I'll try to find some of those dye packs that banks use on robbers. See how they like it when they flip my plug and get a face full blue or red dye. I would laugh my butt off to see some blue and red critters running around the neighborhood.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't have skunks down here, but squirrels re-dig the holes here or other small rodents that eats the grubs.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
savant365 said:
Well if thats the case they are experts at not leaving a single track in bare dirt. I think I'll try to find some of those dye packs that banks use on robbers. See how they like it when they flip my plug and get a face full blue or red dye. I would laugh my butt off to see some blue and red critters running around the neighborhood.
Dye packs are triggered after they pass by a sensor in the bank entrance. (Don't want them going off IN the bank, after all.... :D ) I had thoughts of keeping one in my wallet in case it was ever stolen. <BOOM-SPLAT!> But finding out how they worked ruined that plan. :'( Still fun to think about it though!
Sounds like you have raccoons. They're very good at not leaving tracks. If it's really a problem, take along a spray bottle with smelly detergent water and squirt the plug afterward. It'll work until they catch on.... ;D

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Squirrels. It just happened to me and a buddy the other day. He went back to a spot we had detected and there was a line of holes all dug up. I went back to a different place yesterday and 2 of my holes from the day before were partially ripped up and a squirrel was right there. PJ

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The smaller the ejected dirt around the hole, the smaller the animal. Dogs dig big holes with big chunks of dirt left, coons are not that fine either, they leave clumpy dirt. Skunks are a bit finer, squirrels dig holes and you will notice the dirt is in a rather fine particulate state.

Lastly, crows are notorious for waiting until after squirrels dig holes, then going in and tearing up the hole and stealing the buried booty. Were there any crows or ravens watching you? They're just plain mean and having watched them do this in my backyard, I think they do it just to be mean.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That post title sounds like a Medical Condition. :tard:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, the mysterious reopened holes. No doubt it is animals, whether it is Squirrels, possums, skunks, Wolverines :o, Sasquatch :tongue3: or whatever, it does happen. I thought for years that at some spots I came upon that it was sloppy diggers not refilling their dug holes, but once I started returning to sites that I just hit the day before and saw that my own holes were now relaid open, I finally realized that perhaps the other opened digs were not from sloppy detectorists, but all along were being re-dug by animals............. So, just refill the hole a second time when you come across them... :thumbsup:

D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also attacked by a hole/ plug digger. I had hunted a relatives property and they had said they were not pleased with how I left the yard. I was confused until I saw another relatives dog in the yard digging little holes. I suggest letting me dig a few holes to see if my theory was right. Sure enough after waiting about 5 minutes the little dog excavated each hole I dug. I told my relative I was done in the yard so they should not have this problem from me any more, the dog was their problem.

Ed D.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
BuckleBoy said:

That was mt first thought. When I opened the post I had my eyes closed in case there were pictures I didn't want to see. After my 6 year old said it was ok, then I opened my eyes and was greatly relieved...

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
utah hunter said:
BuckleBoy said:

That was mt first thought. When I opened the post I had my eyes closed in case there were pictures I didn't want to see. After my 6 year old said it was ok, then I opened my eyes and was greatly relieved...

And you guys still looked anyway ??? EEEEWWWWWW!!!! :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
MD Dog said:
learn to coin pop, solves the problem right away. :tongue3:

I do that in parks and places like that but these were pretty big plugs as I am looking for relics. There are some fairly large pieces in the groung here. I have dug 3 axe heads and a complete shovel head for example. Some of the plugs are 6 to 7 inches in diameter.

HH Charlie

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I'd go camping for the night with a 22 or a BB gun and solve the problem that way. But not the right solution for everyone. If not for you, then just refill holes and smile at the thought of the meal you provided for your furry little friends. :tongue3: ;D :wink:

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my dad has a dog that will go around behind him and dig the holes back up. There is one hole no mater how often he refills it the dog digs it back up. My little dog will dig the hole with me while I am digging. Now if I could teach him to cover it back up for me he would be my best hunting buddy

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
I should set up my game camera :wink: Maybe I could get a picture of a troll or something ;D

VPR

If he is stained blue or red tell him to get back here and refill his holes :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread