My hunting buddy is I, the idiot.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
-Or, Why yes dear, you did marry an idiot...

-Or, hey, what was that bump when I was backing up?

So, I grabbed my grandson this morning to hit the Gulf Beaches (St. Pete FL) post TS Colin.

I figured I'd see what got stirred up and moved around, but only had a couple of hours.

I'm doing my beep and dig in the shallow surf. The sand is really soft and dynamic. Nothing heavy is going to be up in the surface sand.
I'll have to wait for low tide and hit the sand bar a little further out. But for now, a nice quick stop at the beach.

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 1.07.33 PM.png

Breaking down my gear, I'm loading up my stuff while flapping my gator with the grandson.

As I back out of the parking spot I feel a dreaded, thump... Ohhh I just ran over something.... this can't be good.... ohhhhh noooooo

I get out of the truck and discover I'd set my Grey Ghost headphones on the back tire while loading up everything else.

Ever wonder what's inside the ear cup?

Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 1.07.50 PM.png

You'd think that for $165 there would be some gold wires or silver plated something or another in there.

The ear cup is split. The headband is split, but it looks repairable, unlike my dignity and having to answer the questions when I got home.

Yes dear, you married an idiot. No dear, I didn't remember I put them on the tire. Yes dear, I know they are expensive. Yes dear, I'm sorry dear- can I have the checkbook now?

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Floridians do that kind of stuff. :laughing7:
Hey you got out and remembered to detect. That's a good thing.8-):

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you have your left blinker on all the way to the beach? :laughing7:

I feel your pain brother, I feel your pain! :skullflag:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I did that to a tractor part that I took off of it, set it on the front tire, then proceeded to run it over. Bent up the sheet metal pretty good, felt like an idiot.
You are not alone, dude.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Quickly point out that the grandson was returned in "as new" condition!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrgg.

Did that to a scoop...
Left a pin pointer at the shower area once...
Dropped a NON water proof detector out of a bag while passing the pool... ker plunk.

Shall I go on...

I was trying to make you feel better :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the days of pagers I was going up the side of a large boat when the tower bar clipped it ... ker plunk...
I actually dove in and got it as it was doing the sway sink...

I was walking out and a cold wave hit my groin... just at that moment I realized I had my cigarettes AND my wallet AND MY PHONE ... money etc.

Dove off dock and same thing once.

Errr... the fond memories we make.

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I left my detector against a tree as I was loading up. I pull out. Get a mile down the road and that eerie feeling came over me. I stop and checked the trunk. Yup, I left it. I flew back asap. It was gone. I was sick all over for a week after. I had joined the Morons - R - Me Club. Took me a while to get over that one. NEVER happened again for sure. Just think, that thump could have been worse.!! Welcome to the Club. PEACE:RONB :laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a bonehead incident related to our hobby. It's just that I did that to a brand new metal detector. I remember seeing a half full gator aid bottle laying in the parking lot next to where I parked when I was going to detect the practice field When all the players came out of the weight room to run around the practice field, I decided to leave. I backed out and heard a noise, Oh well I thought to myself I must have ran over that gator aid bottle. I then proceeded home. After dinner, I was going to wipe down my metal detector. I opened up the back of the van and to my surprise it was missing. I immediately drove the 2 miles to the football field (where there were about 20 cars when I left). The parking lot was empty except for my metal detector and the unharmed gator aid bottle, They were both laying in the parking lot. Man I am glad I live in a small town with a bunch of honest people. Kinda feels like Mayberry. :thumbsup: Needless to say I had to use my back-up detector until my new one came back from being repaired.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somewhere in Fort Desoto Park are 2... I repeat... not 1 BUT 2....

Excal 2 battery charging adaptors.

Was a fluke... took the wire out / off and somehow left the cap adaptors on packs...
When I got to the park I saw what I had done... took em off packs and installed.

That was the last they were seen.

Cost me 150 for both at Bill Jacksons to replace.
Needed that same day to recharge that night.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year... errr maybe 2 now... I went to grab my 580... and grabbed air.

That was #2.
Now on #3.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GIB,

Thanks for the chuckles.....I blame it on age but I've done a few dumb things detecting...lesson one don't wear steel toed boots while detecting.

Been there done that.

Regards + HH

Bill

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; AARC, Try grabbing for your Smithy when a pitbull is charging at you. Yup, I grabbed air too. I left it in my car.!!! :icon_scratch: What happened next ---- Jesse Owens would have been proud of me.!!! :goldmedalred::goldmedalred: I cleared those car hoods in 1.2. What a sight. PEACE:RONB

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a good thing these stories are all MD-related! :laughing7: Otherwise, I'd be....well, you know... :wink:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AARC; I hate when that happens. I toasted a Canon EOS Rebel in the water 3 years ago. That was a $390 hit. I was livid. Had all my kids pictures on it to. I was :blob8::angry5::violent1: :censored: I cant post the words here. I'm still trying to get a new one. Maybe someday. :icon_scratch: PEACE:RONB

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just deleted a bunch of "mishaps" and detector damage stories from the thread to clean up. heh

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just deleted a bunch of "mishaps" and detector damage stories from the thread to clean up. heh
I think I'll hunt behind you. I could completely outfit myself with your cast-off gear!:laughing7: Maybe think about taking a personal valet with you to keep track of all your stuff?? :dontknow:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't look now , but you boys are dangerous. That's #1. #2 is that I don't see any of our female members who did the bonehead stuff you did...

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best part, is your fail ends with, "honey, can I have the checkbook?"
That's how I roll too.... That's how a lot of us roll...
Thanks to our understanding and loving wives, who control our habits, obsessions, and even our self-induced cluster §'s

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread