My iron hates me

H

Holly_squirrel

I notice every time I work on an iron relic , which is often,my hands crack . My hands started to look like my Dad's who's been a diesel mechanic for 45 years . Except where his are black mine are stained orange. So got gloves , even though it's a pain. But it took me awhile to connect my face to my iron. My face has been real sensitive and burns alittle. Especially near sensitive areas like eyes and lips. I tbink it's from tbe iron dust when I dremel and brush. Anyone else notice an issue with skin and iron? And what to do? Don't want to dress like a Muslim woman just to work on my relics.

Upvote 0

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hate my iron,hee hee!There is a cream you can get that is great called( I kid you not) Zim's crack cream. Sometimes in the Winter the tips of my fingers crack and is so painful. Zim's works great.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

CoilyGirl said:
I hate my iron,hee hee!There is a cream you can get that is great called( I kid you not) Zim's crack cream. Sometimes in the Winter the tips of my fingers crack and is so painful. Zim's works great.

Crack cream... Lol.. It's painful... Not sure what to do to protect my face

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
build a small shallow box out of 2x4s, and top it with pegboard, use a holesaw and attatch a shopvac and use it when you grind and wire brush..

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are several good crack creams. When I was doing block laying in the winter I use to use Cornhuskers lotion. It worked good for the hands. I don''t know if they still make it, but Covycone which was made to prevent diaper rash would work on your hands and face. It basically fills the pours and prevents things from entering them. Just water will remove it. also consider that there is an extremely high pollen count out there if that bothers you. Frank... 111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Yeah with my hands. That pore stuff would work great if it's waterproof. I oil my hands constantly but within 5 minutes it's On the clothes I'm folding, in tbe dishwater , got dog or cat hair stuck to it... I never realized how many times a day I get my hands in water, until I had this problem

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

cosmic said:
build a small shallow box out of 2x4s, and top it with pegboard, use a holesaw and attatch a shopvac and use it when you grind and wire brush..

Would that work for the dust that gets all over my face ? Certainly wouldn't hurt that's for sure though

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holly,

I work in contracting, and a lot of the guys (including me) use a product called O'Keefes Working Hands. This is great stuff, I use it mainly in winter when my fingers get cracks & splits.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

CoinHunterAZ said:
Holly,

I work in contracting, and a lot of the guys (including me) use a product called O'Keefes Working Hands. This is great stuff, I use it mainly in winter when my fingers get cracks & splits.

Got it, went through a jar of it.. My hands are better, but not great . And works wonderful for pedicures... Lol I think my skin needs a break from iron:(

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, either that or get that big fellow in the picture with you to grind all the rust off while you watch and drink beer...LOL:)

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

CoinHunterAZ said:
Yeah, either that or get that big fellow in the picture with you to grind all the rust off while you watch and drink beer...LOL:)

Lol, he thinks I'm wasting time as is.. But he did set up my fence in a jaw horse For me .. Cause he got tired of seeing me wrestle it:) Some day I'm gonna find gold or silver or a rare coin... And pay off some bills and make him proud :) but I'm not parting with my fence , even if it was worth much ... This is " my " civil war buckle :)

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also might try avon silicone glove before you work on anything..

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a bandana around my face and I wear a baseball hat. Sensitive skin can be hard to manage when working with metal and rust. I do not have much of a problem with it but I do have to put lotion on my hands every few days (I like the girly smelling ones and I am not affraid to admit it) or else the wife wont let me touch her or the baby because of my rough hands.

Last edited:

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a bartender and my hands used to get really dried out from scrubbing glasses all night from the strong solution in the scrubber. Like cracked and bleeding knuckles dry. I use eucerin brand intensive repair hand cream a few times a week. Skin stays nice as long as I remember to use the stuff a few times weekly. Works better than any other lotion or product I have tried and comes in a 2.7oz tube that travels along in the car with me.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Your dad and I have something in common. Try using UDDERLY SMOOTH, I use it to repair skin damage to my hands, and my wife uses on her face and neck. It works great for us. It was originally made for dairy cows.

Good luck,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread