Desert Hermit

Feb 1, 2014
Randsburg, California
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
gold_prospecting.jpg

My name is Bob and I just joined Treasure Net. You can get more info on these images in the message I left in my introductions. The bottom line is that several acid tests have left behind what you see in these images. But there are conflicts between opinions I have received, all acid tests confirm it is gold, an old prospector confirms it, but a so-called expert at a pawn shop said he disagrees.

What to do, what to do?

A better image of what the main body of quartz looks like.
WIN_20140201_075213.JPG
I added this after viewing the black spot on my thumb, LOL, it's not a black opal, I missed the hand drill and the sledge got me!

Last edited:
Upvote 3
First off, welcome to tnet! I personally don't know squat about gold ore but I do know not to leave that determination to a pawn shop! Did they offer to buy your "not gold" samples? I imagine there are enough experts here who will weigh in soon and give you a hand on this one, or at least point you to some other resources you can try. Hope it is gold my friend and if it is, I also hope there is more where that came from!

Thanks for responding Doc, at the one pawn the gold buyer that did the test did say crush it up and he would buy it. But as I also said, after walking away from him to the so-called expert my opinion was changed. I already have several hundred pounds of this ore so I'm going to crush and pan it out and return to the pawn and see what the first man offers, if at all.

To answer you Doc, there is plenty more of this, this is what really scares me, there's too much for my liking. The implications of this being real devastate me as a hermit. This would bring me out of my cave, LOL, :-)

As a kid, I used to play around up in Randsburg, Four Corners, Johanessburg, etc. There were a lot of old mines to play in (yeah, I know, not reccomended, but we was young'ns back then). There used to be a lot of good stuff in the tailing piles. Things got a bit busy up there in the late 70's(?) when gold and silver went way up. It's possible that you may have found some that everybody else missed.
You wouldn't have to come out of your cave, but you could renovate it a bit.:tongue3:

I would not go off the opinion of a pawn shop owner or worker! You should be able to find a reputable jeweler that would know. They see different gold all the time and I'm sure have great testing equipment. Good luck

LOL Az, a childhood without taking risks, never heard of it. :BangHead: I spend my days walking through the desert, many times I get so deep that there are no bike trails or people for miles around. Not only have I located a few sources of gold, I've located the real desert gold - springs of water.

The images in the post are from an area that I doubt many have dared to travel, I have PTSD and often find myself in positions I had wished I had not entered. Going up a treacherous mountain is often easier than the descent, a few times I just sat on my #@@s and hoped for the best as I slid to the base. Once, and only once, I began a descent and could not control my speed. By the time I hit bottom I had to be flying at a good 60 MPH; I slammed right into the side of a rocky mountain side, blunt force stop, do not pass go! :3barsgold:

Ahab, you're right of course. What I need to do is listen to the old experienced miner that did the first acid test and file the claim. It just temporarily threw me for a loop when I heard the other opinion.

That's nice looking stuff! I don't know much about raw gold, but it sure looks nice to me! If the old prospector says it's gold, I wouldn't be believing the pawn shop.

Congrats on your find! Hopefully your cave is big enough to stash all your gold! That's an awesome find!

Now don't laugh- I collected small rocks on the beach because they have shinny stuff in them, which is probably mica, but it's pretty!

Oh, and welcome to TNet! There's also a gold forum on here to, they could probably tell just by the pics.

Last edited:
Msbeepbeep, I did test it several ways for mica, it's not mica. However I do also have a really nice collection of mica, some of it is in large flat sheets like aluminum foil. Also have nice collections of quartz crystals and some - dog rocks (only good for throwing at wild dog packs). :thumbsup:

Msbeepbeep, I did test it several ways for mica, it's not mica. However I do also have a really nice collection of mica, some of it is in large flat sheets like aluminum foil. Also have nice collections of quartz crystals and some - dog rocks (only good for throwing at wild dog packs). :thumbsup:

Dog Rocks...lol love it. When I was in Afghanistan I use to keep a container of rocks with me when I was in the turret on the .50 cal or Mk 19 do "discourage" the local dogs from getting too close! Never wanted to hurt them but certainly didn't wanna SHOOT them! And they were some BIG a** dogs! Like a cross between a wolf and a lion!

Doc, you got me laughing, good thing you used dog rocks and not the mk, LOL....though sometimes out here in the wild I wished I had access to an mk, I've come across some of those wolf and lion mixed boys myself. Most humans fear Coyotes out here but they love me, it's the wild dogs that I have to keep an eye out for. Still, this life out here to me is far safer than walking the streets of Los Angeles or any other large city. Water sources, A solar panel, a few batteries and I'm free. Now a little gold and maybe I'll upgrade to 2 solar panels, LOL...Take care Doc.

Doc, you got me laughing, good thing you used dog rocks and not the mk, LOL....though sometimes out here in the wild I wished I had access to an mk, I've come across some of those wolf and lion mixed boys myself. Most humans fear Coyotes out here but they love me, it's the wild dogs that I have to keep an eye out for. Still, this life out here to me is far safer than walking the streets of Los Angeles or any other large city. Water sources, A solar panel, a few batteries and I'm free. Now a little gold and maybe I'll upgrade to 2 solar panels, LOL...Take care Doc.

You too my friend! Good luck getting more "color" out of the ground!

And yeah, the Mk19 would have made a helluva mess!

Do you have any university around with a geology department you could take them to. They should be able to help with an ID. I don't know anything about gold ore, but from what I've seen, specimens like yours could be worth more if they're not crushed up. There are collectors for this stuff.

its not gold! so just send it to me to use as book ends lol ;-) good luck I hope it turns out to be real. if it does you will have lot more money on your hands!!

welcome and gz on your find, hope so u earn much from it! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back