My Latest Find!!

Echo

Dec 30, 2009
After winding down my usual after-work, pre-going home hour of searching my favorite 10 acre site, I thought I would make a pass around where I determined the old laundry line to be. In a spot that I have passed at least a dozen times, I got a pretty interesting signal!! I dug 9" or so, only to find a seriously rusted nail. Dangitall, I thought, fooled by the nail again, so I buzzed the hole before I filled it back. I was still getting a signal!! I dug, and dug, and dug, and dug, and dug, fought a few roots, and dug, and dug, and as I flipped over the last scoopful of dirt...there it was...another penny. I looked at it, saw the leaves on the back and the One Cent stamp, figured...cool, another wheat penny, I wonder what year. As I cleaned off the face, it wasn't Lincoln who greeted me, but Lady Liberty. My heart skipped a beat, and as I cleaned off the dirt from the date, the numbers "1896" became revealed, and I knew I had a winner. Yup...an 1896 Indian Head in (at least) VG-8 condition, despite being buried for nearly 114 years. A true happy ending to the day's expeditions. Yesterday, interestingly enough, I passed just a few feet away from the plug where I found the Indian Head, only to find another penny...a 1919 wheat penny! It just goes to show two things...these weren't rich or careless folks, but the stuff is still in the ground for a determined and patient hunter!! Enjoy the pic's, y'all!!

Attachments

• 1896 Indian Head Penny_reduced.jpg
    1896 Indian Head Penny_reduced.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 486
  • 1919 Wheat Penny_reduced.jpg
    1919 Wheat Penny_reduced.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0
P

Pentico

1896 Indian Head is an excellent find. Congrats!
Still looking for my first Indian.

HH
ChrisP

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice oldies :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread