possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My latest MDn' prospect. ...UPDATE...

Here's a shot of the my latest prospect. I got permission to hunt on this property the other day and went by there last night. It's an old church and was also used as a Prince Hall Masonic Lodge and a school house. I have been trying to find out some dates, such as when it was erected and stuff but had no luck. Probably early 1900's. I'm going to check the court house records and see if I can come up with anything. I didn't have but a few minutes before dark and didn't have a light so I've got to go back. Also, I had m 9x12 coil on my detector and was picking up so much stuff so I didn't do much diggin'. I mainly snooped around to see what the layout of the place was. I did find half of a penny and some small nails. Lots of trash so I plan on going back with my sniper coil and hopefully find some cool stuff. Any tips or pointers that will make it easier to hunt this type of area(trashy) please let me know.
Thanks,
Ed

church.JPG

OP
OP
possumheaded

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My latest MDn' prospect.

COUNTRY GIRL said:
Ooooh oooooh ooooooh! When are you going?
I am going to try to go Tuesday. I am off that day, hopefully.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Discriminate... if you don't want trash...

But you'll still get ton's of "iffy" signals.

It's a hard area to hunt through without removing trash...

OP
OP
possumheaded

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Jim said:
Discriminate... if you don't want trash...

But you'll still get ton's of "iffy" signals.

It's a hard area to hunt through without removing trash...
I figured I would just dig up everything I get a signal on. I tried a little discriminating with the bigger coil and just as you say, I got lots of "iffy" signals.
Thanks,
Ed

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Ed this looks like a great place to hunt :) Once again I see a wonderful structure that needs restoring :) Looks to good to just go down ! I hope your finds will be treasure ;D Thank you for sharing this picture :) Marjorie

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Looks like a great place!!! Would love to be doing it with you, lol.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

your sniper coil should come in handy on this hunt. good luck with it. there just has to be something good there! ;)

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Ed...that looks like a great place to hunt. Since you didn't mention anything about it being torn down it would appear you have plenty of time to dig everything; trash AND treasures! ;)

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

looks like a great spot! I agree...another structure that needs restoring! Sure looks like a great place! Keep us updated!

OP
OP
possumheaded

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Both me and the guy who showed me the place agreed it would have been nice to have restored it. Vandals have done a number on it upstairs with spray paint, busting the walls up, and etc... The rooms in the rear have already fallen in and if you are facing the building, the right side on the inside is starting to sag really bad and will probably the next to go. Out back there is a neat old cellar looking area and I really hope to beat the weeds down enough and maybe find a cemetery. I think that would be neat. It's sad someone let a historic building like this go to ruins. :'( I am really looking forward to spending some time here and will keep you all posted on my progress. Thanks for all the comments.
HH,

Ed
P.S.
Here are a few pictures I took of the first floor.

Attachments

• DSCF1615.JPG
    DSCF1615.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCF1623.JPG
    DSCF1623.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCF1635.JPG
    DSCF1635.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 369

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE

I gotta tell ya, I hunted a place very similar to that with an ACE 250 and the one thing I learned was I needed a better detector. The ACE is great for parks and what not, but I will NEVER give up my White's for place like that.

But regardless of what detector you use, you WILL HAVE TO DIG EVERY TARGET EVENTUALLY TO GET THE GOOD STUFF THAT UNDER THE IRON TARGETS.

Good luck, go slow and scan every area from at least 2 directions.

OP
OP
possumheaded

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My latest MDn' prospect. Update

I've been back to this place a couple of times and found lost of junk. Nails, pulltabs, etc.... Here are the finds I thought were interesting.
BBCFINDS.JPG

Found a horseshoe and some round thing close together. Found a penny and a dime but they weren't that old. Found a watch band that was in what seemed like a gazillion pieces. Found a copper lipstick tube that says " Non Smear Type " on the end. One of the neatest finds was the Budweiser bottle top earring. I didn't know it was an earring until I got it home and started to throw it out. Found a couple of buttons, Alabama Power Company Tag, and 3 pieces of lead. I have really been cleaning up the trash so maybe this location will start produce some valuable finds.
Yawl have a good weekend,
Ed

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

PB is correct on what he said and also think positive.
Van

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: My latest MDn' prospect. ...UPDATE...

I am crying....I would love to hunt that. Make sure you check out back to where the privy was and also for old bottles....what a cool place

OP
OP
possumheaded

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My latest MDn' prospect. ...UPDATE...

I did find a few old bottles but there is so much more. I hope to get back this week and spend all day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions