larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
today after lunch i took my 5 year old grand daughter out to try out her new flippin' stick
we only got walkin' about 40 feet and she says granpa what is this?...i go look and
a double groove rare black granite shaft abrader with one and a half grooves on the back side which are difficult to see but they are there
i must say she is getting a nice little collection started
these shaft abraders are almost always made of sandstone

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I see you are teaching her well.

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
I know some else who just gets out of their truck, take a few steps and picks up something nice. (or used to) :)

Nice find.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
taking after you already,cute liitle girl she is.wonder were she gets that from? just kidding.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find....yup you are retired now. She will be finding all the good stuff.... I hate to say it but, you Russy and Kelly...well as Mr.bugs bunny would say....your goose is cooked!!!......lol...she will be finding them all!!

CR Point

Apr 2, 2013
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Larson1951 Flipping Stick
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey Stevie, It looks like Takoja's new flippin' stick is working real good for her!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup: With her eyes closer to the ground she may outdo the rest of you. Better invest in a pair of lucky kneepads and get on your hands an knee's! :icon_scratch:

borlamm1

Jan 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol...start'em young!!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
TN called it right when he said too cute. It's good to start kids at her age. My pops had me out with him at her age. On a side note, you said most of these are sand stone. This one is granite. After abrading a shaft to its desired size, would they not need to finish by making the shaft smooth? A smooth arrow would definitely have aerodynamics in it's favor. Perhaps, she has a tool that was made to smoothen arrow shafts. Do you think that is plausible?

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey Stevie, It looks like Takoja's new flippin' stick is working real good for her!

yup and you flipper has been working pretty good also mr russy

TN called it right when he said too cute. It's good to start kids at her age. My pops had me out with him at her age. On a side note, you said most of these are sand stone. This one is granite. After abrading a shaft to its desired size, would they not need to finish by making the shaft smooth? A smooth arrow would definitely have aerodynamics in it's favor. Perhaps, she has a tool that was made to smoothen arrow shafts. Do you think that is plausible?

yep rusty i have tried the abraders out on pieces of wood....either kind will make a shaft very smooth

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i thought to mention more about how these and how they were actually used
they were used in pairs.........one on each side of the arrow or atlatl shaft
they were held together and clamped with hand applied pressure with the shaft in the center....like a hot dog kinda thing
about 2/3 of these have groove diameter the size of a nickel which most likely indicates they were used to finish atlatl dart shafts or lancelot
the ones with the smaller thinner groves for arrow shafts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread