69.4 KB · Views: 349
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, this as got me thinking, :icon_scratch: I see a few similar, its screaming out Woodland though, looks worn, then reworked, with serrations, I would say a Yadkin but, Yadkin don't usually have shallow notching, hmmm, base is not wide enough for Alamance, its definetly not archaic or paleo. I'd say a Peedee, the Peedee here have a very short point, with the sides being shallow notched too.
Ok, now I've decided what type it is, I'll check my book. lol.
Yes a typical example of a Late woodland Peedee. I've never seen or found one so I could be wrong. ::)

LOL, you putting me to the test? ;D

Ok, lets have it, what is it?

Molly.,

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Dynamite Dalton made out of translucent quartz. Fantastic point. Early Archaic.

OP
OP
A

arrow719

Molly said:
Hmmm, this as got me thinking, :icon_scratch: I see a few similar, its screaming out Woodland though, looks worn, then reworked, with serrations, I would say a Yadkin but, Yadkin don't usually have shallow notching, hmmm, base is not wide enough for Alamance, its definetly not archaic or paleo. I'd say a Peedee, the Peedee here have a very short point, with the sides being shallow notched too.
Ok, now I've decided what type it is, I'll check my book. lol.
Yes a typical example of a Late woodland Peedee. I've never seen or found one so I could be wrong. ::)

LOL, you putting me to the test? ;D

Ok, lets have it, what is it?

Molly.,

The guy that gave it to me said it was a Dalton. He found it on the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia. The Dalton call could be wrong, I don't know those eastern types all that well. It's a nice little critter!

OP
OP
A

arrow719

Rege-PA said:
Dynamite Dalton made out of translucent quartz. Fantastic point. Early Archaic.

Thanks Rege.

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
Nice Dalton. One can certainly see why Coe combined "Dalton" with his "Hardaway" finds to come up with the "Hardaway Dalton." I've never seen a quartz Hardaway though. Great point.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, this is a great post for me, I've never found any Hardaways, I can see now why I got confused, it's a Hardaway-Dalton. A beauty at that.
I feel dissappointed in myself for not checking out the Hardaways. :icon_scratch: I've never found one, never seen one either.

Shows I'm still in the learning process, the guys are spot on, its a Hardaway-Dalton.
That's the great thing about forums, great places to educate oneself.

Molly.

bruce

Dec 28, 2004
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Hello there,

If there is a example of a serrated Hi-Lo.
Is there flat spots on end of basal ears?
Hi-Lo or a quad ? Very nice piece!

Bruce

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Shoulders are a little too strong and ears not splayed enough to be a Hardaway Dalton but the points are very similar. Other opinions?

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is bugging me now lol. The bases on Hardaway-Daltons are ground,ears turn out with parrallel sides, basal fluting & thining is common.
You know what I think, IF it is a H-Dalton its either worn or been reshaped. The arch doesn't look wide enough,its not long/slender.
I've sent a pic to my expert collector at the museum, see what he thinks. I'm just not convinced at all. :icon_scratch:

dollarzero said:
Yeah Molly, I predict you'll find one. They're in you area. :'(

Thankyou DZ but , the site I hunt on doesn't ever turn up Hardaway-Daltons, the site I hunt on as produced 200 whole points so far, Kirk notched being the oldest. I believe H-Daltons are Late Paleo in my area. I have them dated around Clovis era. My site is strictly Archaic/Woodland.

Be interesting to see what my friend the expert on NC typology says, he's the best. Now he has H-Daltons, he'll know for sure.

Molly. :icon_scratch:

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
I think it's probably a Dalton but I don't think it's a Hardaway-Dalton. I can see the characteristics that might have caused Coe and his folks to take a variation of the classic Hardaway and dub it the HD.

DreamcatcherNC

Jul 22, 2008
Just for info – here is a portion of Coe’s comments regarding the Hardaway-Dalton:

“Comment: There appears to be a definite connection between the Dalton and the Hardaway type in the Carolina Piedmont. The Hardaway points, while falling far short of the excellence of some of the best examples of the Dalton type, nevertheless, still reflect the style and technique of the type with its own regional adaptation. Furthermore, the coarse grain stone available in the Piedmont was a definite factor that limited the quality of the product and handicapped the craftsman. Beveled blades were rare, but two of the twenty tabulated specimens were beveled on alternate sides. This appears to have been the result of resharpening rather than an initial intent. A brief survey of the published illustrations of the Dalton type also suggests that beveling was not a primary diagnostic trait. In general, the Hardaway variety appears to fit within the rather broad range of variations that have been describe for the type, and it is presumed that it must also have existed at about the same period of time –roughly between 6000 and 8000 BC.”

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
DreamcatcherNC...Good Stuff! "Furthermore, the coarse grain stone available in the Piedmont was a definite factor that limited the quality of the product and handicapped the craftsman." The quartzite/rhyolite points must have been much harder to knapp and the end product seems much thicker in cross section. The ones I have examined almost have a chipped ground surface. Must have taken more force to penetrate. Flint and high quality chert must have been a treasured commodity. Wonder if these thicker points held up the introduction of the bow in the Piedmont, as more energy would be required to make them lethal compared to flint.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Dreamcatcher, congrats to the guys that got the typology correct, it is in fact a Dalton, nothing more. Early Archaic too, so there's a possibility I could find one, on the site I hunt. :)

Indeed Reg, most of my rough Rhyolite & Quartz points are thick in cross section. Quartz rarely shows flaking. As you say it must have took some real hard work to form them into something,that would get the job done. Its a delight to find Flint. :)

Great post Arrow, we learn something new everyday. :thumbsup:

Molly. (Hopefully I will find one to post.) ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread