🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, that's a honkin' LOOOOONG one J! Hittin' a battlefield tomorrow. Watch for a post just FULL of good stuff tomorrow . . . maybe. Would be nice . . .

OP
OP
Jpro

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, that's a honkin' LOOOOONG one J! Hittin' a battlefield tomorrow. Watch for a post just FULL of good stuff tomorrow . . . maybe. Would be nice . . .

Good luck. I'll be looking for a post for cool CW relics. I'm headed out today too. Not sure where??? An adventure!!

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
Looks like a Greene. Often when found, they are found in Tn. I dug a cartridge box spill of these in Franklin. You got a nice drop there. Good job!

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jpro, here's some info about your "extra-long" minie, in case you don't already know:
Although both sides in the war imported and used the machine-made British Enfield minies, which always have a "plug-cavity" base, only the Confederates made bulletmold-cast ones. So, yours is definitely CS-made.

There was no .54 Enfield rifle. Your "Enfield-pattern" minie was made by the Confederates for use in the imported .54 and .55-caliber Austrian rifles. The CS Army Of Tennessee had many thousands of those rifles. *That is also why a lot of 4-sided-blade Austrian bayonets have been dug in Army Of Tennessee sites, but very few are dug in sites occupied by Lee's army in Virginia.)

Your extra-long Enfield-pattern .54 minie is "mostly" found in 1864-1865 Army Of Tennessee sites. I dug lots of them in Atlanta Campaign sites, and the AoT still had plenty of them in the late-1864 battles around Nashville. I should mention, a good number have been dug at the late-1864/1865 Mobile AL area battles, and the remnants of the AoT still had some when it contested Sherman's march through the Carolinas... particularly at the battle of Bentonville NC.

OP
OP
Jpro

Jpro

Jun 23, 2013
Nashville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Johnny, here's some info about your "extra-long" minie, in case you don't already know:
Although both sides in the war imported and used the machine-made British Enfield minies, which always have a "plug-cavity" base, only the Confederates made bulletmold-cast ones. So, yours is definitely CS-made.

There was no .54 Enfield rifle. Your "Enfield-pattern" minie was made by the Confederates for use in the imported .54 and .55-caliber Austrian rifles. The CS Army Of Tennessee had many thousands of those rifles. *That is also why a lot of 4-sided-blade Austrian bayonets have been dug in Army Of Tennessee sites, but very few are dug in sites occupied by Lee's army in Virginia.)

Your extra-long Enfield-pattern .54 minie is "mostly" found in 1864-1865 Army Of Tennessee sites. I dug lots of them in Atlanta Campaign sites, and the AoT still had plenty of them in the late-1864 battles around Nashville. I should mention, a good number have been dug at the late-1864/1865 Mobile AL area battles, and the remnants of the AoT still had some when it contested Sherman's march through the Carolinas... particularly at the battle of Bentonville NC.

Awesome...thxs TCBG!!!! You are a wealth of knowledge and a great educator!!!!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread