Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I ordered the Manticore because of the sale going on. Shout out to Bart at Big Boys Hobbies for the incredible service and fast shipping.

Last week I put about 8 hours of swing time over 2 hunts. Other than bumping recovery speed up from 5 to 6, I left the settings in stock format running all metal.

Day one I specifically went over spots I've been to with the Equiox 800 to see what I may have missed. Well I did miss a few coins, knick knacks and a tootsie toy jeep.

Day 2 was at a farm field my buddy got us permission to detect. After 5 hours I managed a few buckles, buttons, cow tags, lots of harmonica reed parts, and my first silver with the Manticore, a 1923 Mercury dime in the yard of the house. Good news is we're welcome back at the farm anytime.

Now one thing I noticed the most between the 800 and the Manticore is the difference in tones between the two. That's the one thing that I overlooked. I just assumed the tones would be the same or similar to the Equinox. I couldn't have been more wrong. I had some falsing on nails and the tones just didn't sit right with me. I knew that the vdi scale was going to be a challenge.

After some searching, I found a video by Coils and Coins on YouTube where he adjusted his tones to be very similar to the 5 tone on the Nox. He was very helpful in showing how to adjust the regions and tones on the Manticore. HOWEVER, I have been running 50 tones all metal on my Nox for 4 years and my ears are used to those signals. I figured I'd give it a shot at adjusting the tones to my liking. I know people say to leave it alone and get used to it as it is, but with the amount of customization why not tune it to what I'm used to?

After some tinkering, I think I found a set-up very close to what I've been trained to hear. I turned on both machines and air tested some coins.

Wheat penny
Indian head Penny
Buffalo Nickel
Mercury Dime
Silver Washington Quarter
Walking Liberty Half
Matron Head Large Cent
1857 Canadian Half Cent Token
Copper Culture Celt.

So here are my settings on the Manticore 5 region all tones. I'll continue to fine tune the adjustments but for now, I'm happy with the results and how the tones seem to match up so far.

T1 Region 0-19 T1 Pitch 15-20
T2 Region 20-39 T2 Pitch 21-30
T3 Region 40-59 T3 Pitch 31-33
T4 Region 60-79 T4 Pitch 34-40
T5 Region 80-99 T5 Pitch 41-50

This is what the tone graph should look like with the above settings entered.

20240429_114529.jpg

Like I said it's not a perfect match on the tones but it's pretty darn close. I have not field tested this set-up yet but plan to this week some time. It's easy to change the tones and do a factory reset if you don't like it. Feel free to give it a try or if you have a set up that works better, feel free to let me know.

I hope this information is useful to someone out there. Good luck and happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread