Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this hobby I thought it was a good idea have to all the accessories and backups you might need with you at all times.
So, I started out using a cardboard Boot Box years ago and it evolved into what I'm using now - it's perfect for the job.
I wanted a setup that I could easily go from one vehicle to another or bring all my detecting gear inside in one grab.
I bought this Sterilite - (18" x 23") Box with top locks on it (for around $18.00) at a Lowe's five or six years ago.
As they say - "Two is One and One is None" - seems to make a lot of sense !

In the Box all times are ...
Headphones
Finds Pouch & Belt
Deus Remote (inside a hard cell phone case)
Portable Power Supply (25,000 mAh)
(2) -Deus Charging Clips
(2) - Pin Pinpointers
(2) - Lesche Diggers
(1) - Plastic Digging Trowel (for hunting on sand)
(2) - Screw Drivers (for hunting stone driveways & parking lots)
(4) - Plastic Tent Stakes (for marking targets and grid searching)
(5) - Coin & Relic Cleaning Tools - Brushes / Steel Wool / Picks
(2) - Small Spray Bottles - "Foo-Foo Juice" (fresh water for cleaning Silver)
(2) - Magnifying Loupes - (5x & 40x)
(2) - Pens
(2) - Flashlights
(2) - Spare Reading Glasses
(4) - Small Plastic Finds Bottles
(1) - Spare Lower Leg Nut & Bolt
Rags
Knife
Multi-Tool
Tweezers
Monocular
Compass
Gloves
Rain Hood
Electric Tape
Insect Repellent
Plastic Coffee Can (for junk finds)
(8) Copenhagen Snuff Cans - (for separating small finds from different sites for record keeping)
Coin Collectors - "Red Book"
XP Deus - Factory Owner's Manual
Food - Pepperoni Sticks & Monster Energy Drink

Good Hunting !

Attachments

• M.D. Box - 1.jpg
    M.D. Box - 1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 34
  • M.D. Box - 2.jpg
    M.D. Box - 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In this hobby I thought it was a good idea have to all the accessories and backups you might need with you at all times.
So, I started out using a cardboard Boot Box years ago and it evolved into what I'm using now - it's perfect for the job.
I wanted a setup that I could easily go from one vehicle to another or bring all my detecting gear inside in one grab.
I bought this Sterilite - (18" x 23") Box with top locks on it (for around $18.00) at a Lowe's five or six years ago.

Headphones
Finds Pouch & Belt
(2) -Deus Charging Clips
(2) - Pin Pinpointers
(2) - Lesche Diggers
(2) - Pens
(2) - Flashlights
(2) - Spare Lower Leg Nuts & Bolts
Rags
Knife
Multi-Tool
Tweezers
Monocular
Compass
Rain Hood
Electric Tape
Insect Repellent
(8) Copenhagen Snuff Cans - (for separating small finds from different sites for record keeping)

Good Hunting !
You're well equipped , Depending where I'm going I'll have a small 38 in my overall pocket!

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a backpack for the detecting gear I always take. Like a go bag almost, it’s always ready. I can just grab it, unplug the legend, and I’m ready to go. Very similar to your deal, just backpack form. Going through yours though, you’re definitely better equipped than me. All the extra stuff I just keep in a Rubbermaid in the closet at home.

OP
OP
E-Trac-Ohio

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a backpack for the detecting gear I always take. Like a go bag almost, it’s always ready. I can just grab it, unplug the legend, and I’m ready to go. Very similar to your deal, just backpack form. Going through yours though, you’re definitely better equipped than me. All the extra stuff I just keep in a Rubbermaid in the closet at home.
Backpacks are really handy - I have a Minelab Backpack that's I always in my truck.
I only use mine s few times a year - when I have a long hike in to a site.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
Very well equipped, tho I also would prefer a backpack form (looking at getting the XP 280 backpack) since I don't yet drive so I can still travel with day take the train and a taxi to a group dig or meetup.

Tho when I get my license and fix my landrover my kit box will include my microscope, camera and photography scale mat.

I will probably end up doing what you're doing with a box to move about as a whole tho since I don't have safe parking I can't keep my equipment inside but it will help me change kit from photography to metal detecting with ease

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very well equipped, tho I also would prefer a backpack form (looking at getting the XP 280 backpack) since I don't yet drive so I can still travel with day take the train and a taxi to a group dig or meetup.

Tho when I get my license and fix my landrover my kit box will include my microscope, camera and photography scale mat.

I will probably end up doing what you're doing with a box to move about as a whole tho since I don't have safe parking I can't keep my equipment inside but it will help me change kit from photography to metal detecting with ease
You need a microscope to detect?
Now I heard of pepper to make it sneeze.
So why take a microscope out to the site?
I must be missing something here.
Never heard this before.
Enlighten please, or just sneeze please.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
You need a microscope to detect?
Now I heard of pepper to make it sneeze.
So why take a microscope out to the site?
I must be missing something here.
Never heard this before.
Enlighten please, or just sneeze please.

In a normal backpack I wouldn't

But if I was traveling by car, I own a landrover Freelander with a big booty so I can store stuff in there, that means for example my digital microscope would come with me since it's battery operated

I don't know about you but if I'm going to drive out to a place I'm pretty sure I'll be unable to stop myself from looking at smaller details say a hammered coin or a jeton when I finish detecting especially if I have a light cleaning kit in the car

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In a normal backpack I wouldn't

But if I was traveling by car, I own a landrover Freelander with a big booty so I can store stuff in there, that means for example my digital microscope would come with me since it's battery operated

I don't know about you but if I'm going to drive out to a place I'm pretty sure I'll be unable to stop myself from looking at smaller details say a hammered coin or a jeton when I finish detecting especially if I have a light cleaning kit in the car
I might clean a tad out in the field.
Spit-but no polish. Might spare some water for a quick clean.
Mud puddles are handy also.
This is just to kill the couriosity.
We don't get much in the way of hammered or Jettons in my parts so I'm good there.
Limited time to detect=clean after, so I'd rather spend time detecting.

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
I might clean a tad out in the field.
Spit-but no polish. Might spare some water for a quick clean.
Mud puddles are handy also.
This is just to kill the couriosity.
We don't get much in the way of hammered or Jettons in my parts so I'm good there.
Limited time to detect=clean after, so I'd rather spend time detecting.
Yeah same here, when my dad drives I start cleaning a little to get a better look at finds.

If I'm out a full day or least half day I do sometimes take a closer look if I get something really interesting.

My dad's eyesight sucks so tbh I got the microscope more for him than me so that he can see the details of the item on the screen. He struggles with magnifying glass so it's much easier.

Else I just detect for as long as I can, when I got my hammereds and. Stuff I just shove them in the coin pod/mini box and leave until I finish since I was doing 2 hours an evening

OP
OP
E-Trac-Ohio

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The XP backpack is really nice but there's very little extra room for anything besides the Deus.
I went with the Minelab Backpack because of it's larger size - a lot more room for accessories, food, water, etc.

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
My kit isn't strictly metal detecting centered, it's general foraging/urban recon gear:
A collapsible spade/pick
Minelab pro find 40 pinpointer
Heavy duty shears
A small hand trowel
Emf reader (mostly to assess areas with high EMI though ghost hunting may be on our future list)
Hammer
Cold chisel
Paint brush
Heavy leather gloves
Collection bags
Compass
Monocular
Magnifying glass
Machete
Multi tool
First aid
400 lumen spotlight
Signal whistle
Hobo tool
4 lighters
And all in a very spacious molle compatible back pack

My partner and I go looking for more than metals so it's kind of an all purpose kit, from relic hunting to wildcrafting.

Last edited:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s certainly true that an otherwise great detecting day can be ruined by not having something you really need at that moment. Things that will ruin your day would be not having a spare pinpointer ( or spare batteries) lack of water and snack for quick energy, a needed medicine, ( emergency kit with Benadryl and spare digging tool, backup detector, gloves, tape, bandaids, spare glasses, lip balm, big spray, adequate phone charge. Enough smokes( if you are a smoker). Wipes, rags, rain gear.
Think ahead and be prepared- make a list and add to it when you think of something.

OP
OP
E-Trac-Ohio

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s certainly true that an otherwise great detecting day can be ruined by not having something you really need at that moment. Things that will ruin your day would be not having a spare pinpointer ( or spare batteries) lack of water and snack for quick energy, a needed medicine, ( emergency kit with Benadryl and spare digging tool, backup detector, gloves, tape, bandaids, spare glasses, lip balm, big spray, adequate phone charge. Enough smokes( if you are a smoker). Wipes, rags, rain gear.
Think ahead and be prepared- make a list and add to it when you think of something.
Yes, I agree 100 % - your entire day or trip can be ruined by not having one small piece of backup equipment !

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I Forget to mention probably the most important thing considering I do a lot of my detecting in the woods. That’s a reliable GPS device, and spare batteries for it. I now use a Garmin Foretrex 900 - they are rated for 100 hours of battery life. ( even with long battery life I still carry spare batteries). Before the Foretrex 900, every other GPS I owned would only go about 2 hours before needing a battery change.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I go pretty light, but I often hunt close to home.
Detector
Pinpointer w/ good battery
Flat tip screwdriver for digging
Small garden trowel
Empty pill bottles (keep small finds from getting lost)
Magnet
Survival knife with saw spine (for roots)
Short shovel

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Headphones
Finds Pouch & Belt
(2) -Deus Charging Clips
(2) - Pin Pinpointers
(2) - Lesche Diggers
(2) - Pens
(2) - Flashlights
(1) - Spare Lower Leg Nut & Bolt
Rags
Knife
Multi-Tool
Tweezers
Monocular
Compass
Gloves
Rain Hood
Electric Tape
Insect Repellent

Good Hunting !
Wow, 😲 and I thought I was going overboard.
Great list! :thumbsup:

Hard cell phone case for a Dēus RC would be nice; I didn't think there would be one that size.

Instead of tent stakes, I bought 100 wire flags for marking finds & grids--they work great (and no-one wants to touch them. 😉)

WTH IS "Foo-Foo Juice" anyway? 🤨

I've always carried a 10X loop I bought for $1 when I was 10. I figure if I need anything more, it can wait until I get back to civilization.

I do have 2 pr. of gloves that I use split. I wear a fingerless glove on my right (detector) hand, and a heavy leather work glove on my left (digging) hand. No idea what I'll do with the other mis-matched pair. :icon_scratch:

I expect I'll add more as the season changes/progresses.

A bin might be good. Unfortunately, a backpack is out for me. I'm thinking about a 5 gal. bucket w/ tool caddy.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, 😲 and I thought I was going overboard.
Great list! :thumbsup:

Hard cell phone case for a Dēus RC would be nice; I didn't think there would be one that size.

Instead of tent stakes, I bought 100 wire flags for marking finds & grids--they work great (and no-one wants to touch them. 😉)

I've always carried a 10X loop I bought for $1 when I was 10. I figure if I need anything more, it can wait until I get back to civilization.

I do have 2 pr. of gloves that I use split. I wear a fingerless glove on my right (detector) hand, and a heavy leather work glove on my left (digging) hand. No idea what I'll do with the other mis-matched pair. :icon_scratch:

I expect I'll add more as the season changes/progresses.

A bin might be good. Unfortunately, a backpack is out for me. I'm thinking about a 5 gal. bucket w/ tool caddy.

Ah we now can add you to the list of the "Foo-Foo Juice" :dontknow:

I comes from some detecting show/YouTube videos.

Simply a spray bottle with water.
Maybe spit/Camel urine/water.

Who knows really.
It's just a coined phrase that folks use.

OP
OP
E-Trac-Ohio

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ah we now can add you to the list of the "Foo-Foo Juice" :dontknow:

I comes from some detecting show/YouTube videos.

Simply a spray bottle with water.
Maybe spit/Camel urine/water.

Who knows really.
It's just a coined phrase that folks use.
"Foo Foo Juice" is what the "Hoover Boys" call tap water in small spray bottle.
They have around 400 great detecting video's on YouTube.
Lots' of amazing finds from the Maryland area.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
For me if coin/relic hunting just my pick, spare headphones and food and drink.
Gold ill have a rock hammer for quartz, pick, spare headphones, ultra loud emergency whistle in case Im stuck for whatever reason, bandages for compression of cuts or snake bites, first aid stuff. Compass with magnifying glass and old plastic pill bottle painted bright flouro pink. I once dropped a bottle that was white and it blended in too much with the white quartz everywhere and took ages to find it with bits of gold in it.
Always have a knife too.
I do keep a mini microscope to look at specimens for gold.
Cheap and works well, dont even feel it in your pocket and has lights.
IMG_20240412_090010_128~2.jpg
IMG_20240412_090040_953~2.jpg
IMG_20240412_090135_293~2.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread