Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have a bunch of sites that I already have permission to detect or I will ask permission to detect. The sites are:

1. Homesite Foundation (found on 1879 map) HAVE PERMISSION
2. Colonial Cellar Hole WILL ASK FOR PERMISSION
3. Possible 1700's (Most likely early 1800's) Farm House NEIGHBOR, WILL ASK FOR PERMISSION
4. Two late 1700's farm houses WILL ASK FOR PERMISSION
5. 1920's Cottage SUMMER HOUSE, HAVE PERMISSION
6. 33 Acres of Farm Land (Abandoned Slaughter House, Colonial Stone Wall, River with glass shards from 1800's) SUMMER HOUSE, HAVE PERMISSION
7. 2 Mid 1800's Parks WILL ASK FOR PERMISSION

I have several other sites that I am not sure about the age like a couple of abandoned houses and an abandoned barn.

If anyone has any tips, comments, or you want to tell me what site you think will be most productive, let me know!

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going with #6. Lots of space, near water, signs of activilty, is old, and no limitations to digging. Just find the iron patch and you'll be digging goodies!

I would still hunt the rest though!

OP
OP
Recovering Relics

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to #6 a couple times this summer. I think the best spot there would be the stone walls, you never know, there might be a cellar hole there in the woods.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I don't have any comment about your east coast hunting site potentials, but just wanted to chime in: I like your phoenix button monicker :) :headbang:

OP
OP
Recovering Relics

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Tom! It's my best find.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
recovering relics, are the parks in your #7 private, or in some way, off-limits? If there is no specific prohibition about detecting, why would you need to "ask permission"? You may just set yourself up for a "no", when in fact, no one might have ever given you second thought. Just check city (or county or whatever) website where their rules are listed. Do a key-word search under variations of "metal detecting". If it is silent on the issue, then so be it.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I would try #6. I would try close to the water. There is a reason for the glass there. Maybe just a dump but maybe from an old mill or other building. I don't know about the North East but in Va there is very little found along stone walls compared to other areas. Like IP said find a iron patches. Also if the area have been hunted you will usually have a better chance of digging good if you are willing to pick through the iron. I would try the other spots to though
Let us know how they work out.

OP
OP
Recovering Relics

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
recovering relics, are the parks in your #7 private, or in some way, off-limits? If there is no specific prohibition about detecting, why would you need to "ask permission"? You may just set yourself up for a "no", when in fact, no one might have ever given you second thought. Just check city (or county or whatever) website where their rules are listed. Do a key-word search under variations of "metal detecting". If it is silent on the issue, then so be it.
I checked the town rules and regulations, and there was nothing about detecting. I havent had much expierience hunting parks, so I wouldn't know to ask for permission or just hunt. The parks are public. If a park doesn't specify if you are allowed to detect or not, do you think I can just hunt there? Thanks - RR

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
"If a park doesn't specify if you are allowed to detect or not, do you think I can just hunt there?"

yes.

But of course, you've got to use some discretion. I mean, don't go in the middle of an archaeologist's convention at the park, don't go waltzing over beach blankets, etc.. Unfortunately we're in a hobby that is an oddity. I mean, it draws the curious when people see the strange fellow swinging the geiger-counter thingy, right? And then they ask themselves "just what is he doing?" "is he going to leave a mess?" etc... So just like in picking your nose, don't go "be a target" for busy-bodies, to begin with. Go at off-hours, like after 5pm, or Sunday afternoons, etc.... Because people can gripe about anything, if they want. Why subject yourself to that?

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope for some good posts later this year, good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread