My metal detector begins paying for itself....

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late last fall I purchased a Fisher CZ2 in the hopes that I could get "back into" a hobby I enjoyed 15-20 years ago. The ground has generally been too frozen to do any digging, but I couldn't stand it any longer so I headed to a freshwater beach an hour or so away from home and spent 2 hours combing the sands (in a drizzle which turned into snow flurries by the way!!).

I quickly discovered that this beach undoubtedly has been hunted heavily as it took me 10 minutes or so to even find any trash!! I told my wife when I got home that at the rate I'm starting, it will take the rest of my life to pay off this metal detector as the total of my finds in 2 hours came to a whopping $0.01 - that's right - one penny :-P.

Although I didn't find much, it was far from a waste of time as I now am much more comfortable with the detector and understand alot more about it's functions and what it can and can't do. I spent a good 15 minutes or more burying different things in the sand and listening to the signals and practicing pinpointing them. And on top of all that, although it was cold, it was nice to spend a couple hours outside after what has felt like a very long winter (not a BAD winter, just LONG!).

The club I joined is planning a hunt in mid April, so my goal has been to get comfortable with my metal detector as much as possible before that - I guess I'm accomplishing that, I just hope the next time out I can at least double my income to $0.02 :-).

I'd post a picture, but you all can just look in your pockets and pull out a penny if you want to see what I found.

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, at least it's a start. And, like you said, getting to know your detector is the most important thing you can learn. There ARE goodies in your future if you stick to it!

HH!
TBGO

muddyknees

May 5, 2005
Holden Beach,North Carolina
We all have those days. after 2 weeks ago finding lots of clad and 5 rings at the local beach. yesterday was a 3 hour 1 penny hunt but better times are comeing wont be long for all the tourist to come here.
muddyknees

OP
OP
Cubfan64

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the words of encouragement! You're all correct that learning your machine is a big step, so I took comfort in the fact that I'm more comfortable with it already.

Being new to this area of the country, I joined a metal detecting club in the hopes that I'll get a better feel for places to look and although I've only been to one meeting they seem like a really nice group of folks! I look forward to being able to post pictures of some GOOD days soon :-)

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Dont give up, & I think you are on the right track by learning your machine & by joining a detecting club. It will pay off this spring & summer when you are finding the good stuff. We all look forward to reading your posts & seeing pics of your future finds! And Im assuming you are a Chicago Cub fan (arent we all?), I think I like you already! lol Thank God for WGN!!! We will be world series bound in 2006! (been saying that for almost 30 years!) ;D

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Cub Fan,

1 cent is a start. Has to get better.

Your a Cub fan? Boy life is tough on some people. ;D

Go Cubbies.

have a good un..............

R

rb

WOW a penny, just what are you going to do with all that dough. Just dont spend it all at once.... LOL J/K Good to know you got out to get used to the new machine. Keep at it and the treasures will come to you.. HH RB

R

rvbvetter

Some what like you, I started detecting again last year after a 10 yr or so layoff. I can remember of not coming home with a penny back then. And I've proved I'm capable of that still. But occasionally a site will produce some really nice finds. And that's what makes it all worth while.
Like they say; It's not the destination, but the journey.
So what do you think of the new detectors? CZ 2 ? Do you mean CZ 7 or CZ 3 ? HH

B

brz

I wouldn't worry about only finding one penny, the first time out. It's been frozen here also(NW Montana) my first time out this season was pretty poor also, but I have been out three more times since, and I recover more with each time out. It was just good to get out. The coin will build, just keep swinging. Good luck and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread