My Multi Screen Trommel Build

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
I decided to start a post on my trommel build. I've had this idea to build a multi screen trommel for some time. Computer models have shown their might be some problems, but maybe I can work around them. I believe that classifying is the key to efficient gold recovery. My idea is to have several tube screens inside each other, with outputs to sluice boxes at each sort. My center screen is 1/2 inch, next is 1/4 inch and then 1/8 inch. All the material is going to be aluminum to keep the weight down.

I considered using expanded metal, but believe that punch plate will do a better job. Expanded metal is much less expensive. On the end of each tube is 6" of solid material to help connect the tubes to each other. I found a local plumbing contractor who rolled my metal for free. I take classes at a local community college and had access to their equipment and also learned to weld aluminum. This first picture is how the flat plate aluminum comes and shows the solid pieces to be welded to it.

Next pic is the metal rolled ready to weld.
I got all the tubes rolled and this is a pic of all of them. Each tube has a couple inches space between them.

I have started work on the frame and putting the tubes inside each other. Stay tuned.. I am new to posting a build like this and hope I've included all info people want to know.
Rick

Attachments

• flat al with  holes sm.jpg
    flat al with holes sm.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 719
  • tube rolled ready to weld sm.jpg
    tube rolled ready to weld sm.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,581
  • tubes 4 rolled and welded sm.jpg
    tubes 4 rolled and welded sm.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 688
OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Today got all the tubes welded and bolted togather. About 2" of space between each tube. I believe it was Jog who suggested putting some bars in the center tube to help tumble the material.

Attachments

• All 4 tubes togather sm.jpg
    All 4 tubes togather sm.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 2,088
OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Took all 4 of my trommel tubes and put them inside each other. I also started building on the frame to hold the tubes. Plan to make it low to the ground. I've always seen trommels where you have to lift the buckets or shovel from waist high to chest high. Can't really figure out why they are that far off the ground. Anyway planning to make the center tube, where I feed the material, just 16 inches or so off the ground. I put wheels on the back of the frame and adjustable legs on the front.

Attachments

• complete frame (280x210).jpg
    complete frame (280x210).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 2,190

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question, if it all falls out the end, it looks like quite a problem to keep the sizes separate ? Nuggy

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Nuggy
Appreciate you looking. I'm finishing up the feed hopper today and should start on the output end tomorrow. I'm going to work up some sheet metal so I direct each tube's output to a different sluice box. Just winging it here as I haven't seen anything to pattern it after. Hope to have some pics up later today.

Rick

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
Today I finished the feed hopper for my trommel. It came out 31" X 24" and is 24" high off the ground. Goal was to make it as low to the ground as I could. All the material is aluminum. The hopper lifts off its mounts to make it removable. Another goal was to make this as light as possible and only take one person to unload and put it togather. Picture shows some brackets that slide into the ends of the frame to support the hopper. That should do it on this end and I plan to start on the front Monday. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Rick
6/2/11

Attachments

• DSCN1752 (320x240).jpg
    DSCN1752 (320x240).jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 2,033
  • DSCN1753 (320x240).jpg
    DSCN1753 (320x240).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,354

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I have a silly Q?

If your going to direct each screen to a different sluice box shouldn't the trommel screen's/tubes ends be staggered?

As in different length's for ease of shoot setup?

OP
OP
R

rwells

Jun 27, 2009
Springfield Missouri
wildman4910 said:
I have a silly Q?

If your going to direct each screen to a different sluice box shouldn't the trommel screen's/tubes ends be staggered?

As in different length's for ease of shoot setup?

Wildman
I didn't think of staggering the tubes when I designed the thing. I'm planning to make some sheet metal pieces under each tube and turn it left or right to direct the material in different directions. I'm still just cutting out cardboard and attaching it to the tubes, trying to come up with a method that works. I imagine one going left a few degrees then another left but not as sharp, then do the same thing to the right. I'll try to get a picture up some others can see my idea and maybe offer some suggestions.
Rick

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Cool, you could always bolt on a little length to get the separation you need.

Post up your pics of your ideas, I'm sure a bunch of us will have suggestions on how to accomplish your end goal. :icon_sunny:

doubled

Dec 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't under stand the concept for the trommel... From what I understand a trommel is used to washed the gold bearing dirt off of the rocks/pebbles and the rocks pebbles are then worthless b/c the gold bearing stuff would be washed of with just 1 screen and go down 1 sluice box.

\ ---\
\---\
\---\ <------ sluice box

I don't understand how the extra screens will improve anything. .... Please enlightem me though...

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it is not my design, I THINK I know what he is doing.

Instead of 1 sluice box out the back, imagine a 3 level/tier sluice ramp that catches everything for the screens individually and feeds it into it's own sluice.

That is how my brain is working it out.

Nice workmanship BTW. I do a lot of metal work, but just can't get the swing of aluminum

WM

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread