My new hunting dog has Hip Dysplsia

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
I just found out yesterday that my 7 month old puppy has hip dysplasia and was told to not use him for hunting. The vet said the more I hunt him the sooner he gets bad arthritis and the sooner his hips will wear out and the more pain he will be in. He was (is) supposed to be my last hunting dog. Had it all planned to have this dog for 7-9 years of hunting, retire and travel with no dog to tag along. I'm bummed out. Anyone out there who had a dog with this ailment. What can I expect? The vet said I could hunt him but only for short hunts. I go hunting 3 solid weeks a year. She said 1/2 hour hunts and rest him for 2-3 hours. Any experts out there. PJ

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
PJ in WI,
that is a shame.

Just a pup and doc it telling you about hip dysplasia so soon?

Is it a pure breed dog? They often are genetically predisposed
to orthopedic issues like Hip Dysplasia.

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I depends on how attached you are to him. Find him a good home with a non hunter.
My advice is get another pup just have the new pup checked out first.

If you like huntin' you need a good dog that can handle it cause you never know what you're gonna git into.
No need to go out with an infirm dog and cause him to suffer.

Course it depends a little on what your huntin and what kind of dog you're using.

I grew up with foxhounds and foxhunted with my Grandpa for years. I also had beagles and rabbit hunted too.

Buddy~

S

seger98

PJ I feel for you, all I've ever had were St. Bernards which are known for it, but none of mine did. But from pups I take them for walks EVERYDAY & I believe that helps strengthen muscles & tendons and keeps that area strong, you might be hesitant to do that, so I would check with other vets.

I had one St. that got blastomycosis & the vet didn't catch that until it was to late, just goes to show that a second opinion could help.

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Is that a disease that can be helped by a chiorpractor for animals.........honestly I dont know.

My Rhodesian Ridgeback X German Shepard was t-boned my my sons pitbull mix while playing one day.
3 trips to the vet later, we asked for a chiorpractor..sp? for dogs..........met him one time, told him what happened.
He said our dogs hind quarters were out of whack, twisted her back half a quarter turn, heard it pop back into place, did acupuncture with 18 needles and now our dog Ruby is just fine.

Sorry to hear bout your dog.

Mike

OP
OP
P

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Shermanville, Texastee, Goodyguy, Seger,bbqbull. Thanks for the replies. I can't get rid of him--- he's one of the family. He's got a personality that makes me laugh. My brother has had the female genes for over 25 years. All my hunting buddies have dogs from my brothers females. On occasion he has gone outside the line for a differant male. Well a friend took his female to a kennel and bred with some field champ and we believe this is where the problem started since my puppies father came from my buddies female. We have the females and there has never been a problem in 8 litters. I know the breeder is supposed to have eliminated the bad gene so I am just getting started with this breeder. The breed is English Setter. Wish me and my puppy luck. PJ

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If dogs are bred back too often or too highly bred for show they will more often develop that problem. Some breeds are more prone to it than others. German Shepherds are one of the worse breeds. Our PD had to start buying our dogs straight from Germany because too many of them in the US had hip displasia. The K9 trainers had to learn German commands and it sure sounded funny the first few times I heard them. Your dog will still make a good family pet and short walks will be good for him/her. But you have to be constantly aware and be prepared to give her a baby aspirin now and then when she is in pain. No tylenol or any of that other stuff, just pure 80 mg aspirin. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread