Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My New Name Is Sandford & Son!

Thats it guy's. Junk man him self. :laughing9: I do think I'm going to start bring my old iron finds home though.Been liking the old shock therapy I've been doing of late.Now if hunting season would get over so I could get back to pick all the piles up and continue on my colonial quest that would be great.Must be 1,000lbs of iron waiting for me piled up nice like.Anyway there are some indian cents mix in this junk.And some pieces go back a little in time.

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 996
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 999
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 997
  • 000_0006.jpg
    000_0006.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 984
  • 000_0005.jpg
    000_0005.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 996
Upvote 0

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: My New Name Is Sandford & Son!

I know the feeling about the iron ... I bet I have pulled 20 pounds of iron from the old plantation site that I recently started working ... but a few goodies as well ... hope better digs await you TK ~ Jimmy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wonder if that's not a little rusty toy cannon in the first pic.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch said:

Kind of looks like one, didn't know they were made of iron though.

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Can hear you now if you find gold.

"Oooo... Its the Big One... You hear that Elizabeth... I'm comin' to you, I'm comin' home to Georgia"

:D

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's him! ;D He was a funny old "fart" back in his day.Yea the first of January will end this kind of stuff for me I guess as deer season will be ending.Just some sites I had been passing on cause wasn't seeing what I like to at them when I looked over them on river run abouts this past summer.My plans were to knock out all the colonial sites first meaning the earlist ones I could find so as I've stayed with that I've not been looking for other places for these times (hunting season) kinda caught with my pants down thing.But I know around here best to stay away from these sites as there are alot of bullets fling in these areas and just not worth taking the chance besides never know when you could be messing somebodies hunt up.They only have a few months to hunt and I got all the rest so more like a respect thing for me. :thumbsup:

Patch buddy,I don't know what it is I'd say though it had to pivit on something much like a mounted cannon would.But the pic don't do it justice on the size not really that small.If it helps maybe about the size of a good size flint lock pistol would be it's size.(handle and all)It will take me some time to get it able to tell more.

Jim buddy,yea I've piled all my iron up around the bottom of trees and things all summer.I could not tell you how much old stove parts broken parts of kettles and things like above that I have found.But a 1,000lbs would be a good guess for sure. :thumbsup:

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE

i try to save every pc of copper or brass.

iron if its larger than a tin can i will save it

got a giant metal pile at my house.

kind of a mental thing aint worth doin

but i feel kinda cool knowing that old bit

of rust will someday be turned into something

else after all these yrs. plus somehow i feel

like im cleaning the woods / park whatever.

when its huge and far from the car it stays

there.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj said:
Iron Patch said:

Kind of looks like one, didn't know they were made of iron though.

Yes they were but not sure how common. It makes sense we wouldn't see many iron ones just because they are iron.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:

Great eye, a little electrolysis should clean that right up.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lol. you always gotta expect the junk to pile up on ya when your out diggin' good luck next go around!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Iron Patch said:

Great eye, a little electrolysis should clean that right up.

I don't think there's a great chance, but worth cleaning to find out.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

"I've piled all my iron up around the bottom of trees and things all summer.I could not tell you how much old stove parts broken parts of kettles and things like above that I have found.But a 1,000lbs would be a good guess for sure."

Ha! Pete your place sounds like mine! We'll have to compare pictures of our year's junk pile. When you're digging those "stove parts" keep your eyes open. There are old colonial things that existed back then called "firebacks" and a lot of old houses had them. They can be mistaken for broken stove parts, but even fragmants of them put back together can make some pretty neat displays. A lot of them have dates cast into them and well as family names. I have yet to find any but I'm lookin'. :D here's a link which shows a few http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/photos/dealer_michaelholt_full_scan0084(1).jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.michaelholtandirons.co.uk/stock.asp%3Ft%3Dcategory%26c%3Dfire%2520backs,%2520grates.and%2520surrounds&usg=__zkHA5Y-9xm_WFKaVWUs_NFNy51M=&h=672&w=500&sz=57&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=F50viYfRBXa7sM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dantique%2B%2522fire%2Bbacks%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
"I've piled all my iron up around the bottom of trees and things all summer.I could not tell you how much old stove parts broken parts of kettles and things like above that I have found.But a 1,000lbs would be a good guess for sure."

Ha! Pete your place sounds like mine! We'll have to compare pictures of our year's junk pile. When you're digging those "stove parts" keep your eyes open. There are old colonial things that existed back then called "firebacks" and a lot of old houses had them. They can be mistaken for broken stove parts, but even fragmants of them put back together can make some pretty neat displays. A lot of them have dates cast into them and well as family names. I have yet to find any but I'm lookin'. :D here's a link which shows a few http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/photos/dealer_michaelholt_full_scan0084(1).jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.michaelholtandirons.co.uk/stock.asp%3Ft%3Dcategory%26c%3Dfire%2520backs,%2520grates.and%2520surrounds&usg=__zkHA5Y-9xm_WFKaVWUs_NFNy51M=&h=672&w=500&sz=57&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=F50viYfRBXa7sM:&tbnh=138&tbnw=103&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dantique%2B%2522fire%2Bbacks%2522%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26um%3D1
Thanks Johnny for the heads up!Yea I don't even take a second look most of the time.But do know that alot of these pieces of stoves I've see have neat designs on them and all.Also on the compare thing I found some kind old factory of some sort that the maps I have go back to 1874 and this was not on them built before.It's out on the river and some of it is just starting to wash away.But if you step up in the woods it would blow your mined.But there is so much iron around this site I got fetup and left even after finding my only LC and Halfdime at it.The next time I get out around that place with my camera I'll take some shots.Would like to know what you all think it was as I don't think many know of it.But can say if you were to pick all the iron and all out of the ground at this site we'd be talking semi trucks loads. ;D
Thanks Again Buddy!
Now you like and are good at Iding things try this rig out.It's the piece up above after chipping the crud off.Not a cannon but is neat looking more so then I thought it be.I have no clue. :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 000_0002.jpg
    000_0002.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 388
  • 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 364
  • 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 363

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

It looks like a tooth from a sicklebar mower Pete.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

johnnyi said:
It looks like a tooth from a sicklebar mower Pete.
Good Buddy,had not even thought down that line.Although I wonder why it was out on the edge of the river though?Things that make you say hummmmmmmmmm! :laughing9: But thats as good a Id as I could come up with.
Thanks Johnny!

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread