My newest spring finds

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
On March 4, I went out to a sledding hill to see what I could find. There is still a lot of snow but a part of the hill,
facing the sun was bare. We've had some temps above the freezing mark so the melted snow made the snow freeze.The ground
was hard as rock so didn't try to dig any of it though I got a few good readings. Most of the parking lot was bare and
found a few coins on the surface. On the hill I got the rest of the coins in the snow and a few do-dads that were showing
up. There was a stream about 30 feet wide along there with about a 4 foot strip of open water up the center. There were
several geese down a little too far to get a good pic, but while watching them I saw a beaver swimming toward me. He was
about 300 feet or so away and barely viseable. He came up on the ice and went into the tall swamp grass and came out again
and dove in the water again. I was standing in a thick clump of trees to blend in. There was also one farther on down the
other side of me. I was just about ready to get a pic and my arm started shaking from holding it up in that position too long.
I moved very slowly to anchor my elbow but he spotted the slight movement and He slapped the water with his tail and dove
under. When his tail hit the water, the other one disappeared, too. I waited a half hour watching but he didn't show
again, I'll go back there in a few days and try to get a picture of him.
Here are some pics. The first one has the geese but might be too far downstream to see. And a view of the hill.

ray

Attachments

• IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 928
  • IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 924
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 925
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 922
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 917
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 922
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello, swingit, I guess that "nuk" you mention must be that nipple, right? LOL. Yup, that is kind of an unusual find when
metal detecting. LOL. I have no idea what the other plastic items are part of. The little orange and black things are flat
on one side and have a post or spindle broken off almost flush.
Thanks for your funny reply.
Hi plebah, yup, it might, at that. Good suggestion. LOL.

Hi, there, Mike, thanks. It was definitely fun to get back out there again, even though the ground was frozen too much
to attempt to dig in it. And when I discovered those beavers there, that was exciting. I haven't been close enough to
observe a beaver in his own habitat for a long time. Now I want to go out there to try and get a pic of him if I can.

That baby of your's is getting real close to making her appearance, isn't she? Be prepared. Your big change in life is
almost upon you. LOL. Take good care of Mama and Baby, and you, too.

All of the best.

Ray

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello, Spooky, Ok your suggestion about the plastic gismos sounds pretty reasonable. I'll bet that is what they are.I'll be
going into town this week so while there. I'll do a little checking to see how thewy are put together. It was almost 50 degrees
today and is supposed to be up in the mid 40's all this week so spring is close at hand. That is good because there are a lot
of guys waiting for the snow to go so the ground can thaw out enough to dig. LOL
Thank you for a very nice reply. HH.

Hey, Bobby, how 's things going? It's good to hear from you. I'm glad you got out too. I had a great time. I'll be glad when
it warms up so a person can hunt and dig anywhere. LOL
Happy hunting

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
Man you got it rough if thats your spring. Thank god for around 15 days of rain here in Cali. Nice nuk.

Pokerdad

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello, pokerdad, It's not so bad when you are used to it. The snow is melting fast now and temps have been in 50's. Today it
is now 62 degrees and just like summer. It won't be long now and the frost will be out of the ground and it will be soft enough to dig. Thanks for your reply and Happy Hunting.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds good pics looks cold though ,some baby is unhappy lost its binky :laughing7: Good hunting .

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wanna get permission to hunt some of the ski areas around here i think they would be good

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
hello, Deepdiger, yup, I'll betcha, too that the little tyke was mighty unhappy. LOL. Thank you and good hunting
to you too.

Thanks, John, Happy hunting

Hey redneck, those slopes might be good, but you would probably have to cover a lot of ground for a few finds. They don't
fall much when you see the size of the slopes and all of the skiers using it, One good spot though would be the 'Rope Tow'
if they have one. I ran the Rope Tow up at Thunder Mountain near Vanderbilt, I had to watch it constantly because people
would fall quite often. Sometimes girls would get their long hair caught on the rope and the operator would have to stop it
immediately, It is usually off to the side and is on a beginner slope; that is why so many falls. It wasn't always at the bottom, either. They could fall anywhere and the rope would then have to be stopped so it wouldn't pull the next person into
them and also to make certain the person was ok. Also once in a while they would be nervous and forget to let go and get
cought in the big pully wheel if it wasn't stopped. You want to check carefully from the bottom, all the way up through the
top. With so many falls every day there should be several coins there for the taking.
Lots of luck on whatever ones you locate. One more tip. Check the parking lot. Lots of skiiers will put their ski clothes on at their car and drop all kinds of things. The lots usually is packed snow with loose snow on it which makes it hard to find
when they loose something. When the parking lot would clear of snow I'd walk back and forth and watch carefully. You would be
surprised at what you can find that way. I didn't mean to write a book here. Sorry bout that.

lots of luck.

Ray

P. S.I didn't have a metal detector up there so I never thought about looking under the rope tow when I was there.

redneck13126

Oct 25, 2009
boonville ny
Detector(s) used
Fisher f19, Fisher F4, tracker IV, new whites coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the tips. and as for the tow rope i hate them i snowboard and i got dragged up the hill once it was fun for me lol but i like the chair lifts way better theres a few ski areas up this way im going to look in to once the north country thaws out

redneck

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Hello Redneck, when I was running that rope tow was back in the 70's and I never saw a snowboard there during the years
I was there. Some of the beginning skiiers would have a hard enough time on skiis. I imagine a snowboard would be a lot harder.
That one where you get dragged couldn't have had an alert operator. They are supposed to watch it continually, Just because of that reason. Three or four years before I started there was a young woman whose long hair got cought on the rope and she was
dragged aways and it pulled a part of her scalp off. I knew there was a lawsuit on them over that. We moved down to this Port Huron Area In 1980 and it was sometime after that, they went out of business. When I heard that I wondered if that lawsuit
was what put then out. There was a sign near the bottom showing the rules of the tow. One was for the girls with long hair
to tuck it inside their coat so it wouldn't tangle, but not everybody obeyed the sign. I saw it happen one time and stopped the tow just in time. Her hair was tangled so bad that we had to cut some of it off. At the time, the only thing I had to cut with
was my pocket knife, but it was sharp, so it worked. The next day I had a pair of scissers and I'm glad I never needed them after that. I worked there for four seasons, I did run one of the chair lifts a few times but my regular job was the tow.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread