My oldest and rarest find to date!

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1917-D Walking Liberty Half Dollar with mintmark on reverse. Mintage of 1,940,000. :hello2:

I thought it was junk silver when I pulled it, but I was still beside myself to get my second Walker in rolls :laughing7:. But when I ran a Google on the date/mm combo, I saw numbers that made my eyes pop out and I thought I might have a $200+ coin :o. So I take it to my local coin shop, but I find out it's been worn down so much from circulation that it only carries a slight premium above silver value. I'm guessing the most I could get for this is $50 or so. I still got a plastic case for it, and it won't be going in my junk silver pile. First find that made me go to a coin shop to have it looked at. All lettering as well as the date is easily visible, but the vertical lines on Liberty's skirt have worn away, as well as most of the lines on the eagle's feathers. But some of the feather lines are still visible. The metal along Liberty's middle has been worn flat. The guy at the coin shop said it would grade either G or VG.

There were also 3 40%s in that box.

Today's 3 Half Boxes:

Box 1:
Skunk

Box 2:
Skunk

Box 3:
Everything seen above in pictures :headbang:.

3rd roll of 40%s socked away.

Upvote 0

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
Nice find - I put my favorite finds in holders, too...not necessarily because they are valuable but because to me it shows pride in your finds. Show 'em off to your friends! :wink:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make sure the holder doesn't have PVC in it, will eventually damage the coin, the mylar ones are much better for long term storage- Excellent find!

HH
-GC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions