My Oldest Coin Ever! 1722 Rosa Americana Penny. 295 Years Old!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 2 hours in the hot sun this morning and found exactly one coin! But that coin was a winner! Not 100% sure, but I think I found a 1722 Rosa Americana penny! The amazing thing is that it was only 4 inches down and on a field I've detected at least 20 times. It was in an area full of iron, so that's probably why I've missed it up until today.

Haven't cleaned it much, but it's definitely King George on the front. Let me know what you think about the back. I'm pretty sure I see a rose and "Rosa Americana" along the top of the reverse. It's thicker than a half penny, so it should be a penny denomination.

Here's a few pics:

1722 front dirty.JPG 1722 back dirty.JPG 1722 front clean.JPG 1722 back clean.JPG

Upvote 42

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a killer find Tim :occasion14: Awesome job finding that incognito spot based on previous digs... looking forward to seeing what else you find there.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Tim, Awesome find! Enjoy it!:occasion14:

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well done, sir! Enjoy and keep the great saves coming.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread