xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an update to my post from last week. I didn't make it out this weekend but I did get to clean up my coin so this is my post:

I asked people for advice / help on the cleaning of my coin as it had started to flake. I hadn't seen any responses yet and it was drying out so I took a gamble and dropped it in some olive oil to see if that would help the situation. I've had a few coins go to complete crap as I tried to clean them. After a week in the olive oil I took it out and took some toothpicks to it. At first the results were not looking good as I wasn't sure if I was chipping off all the detail while I took the centuries of crust off it. In the end the coin retained a lot of detail and a lot of integrity on it's surfaces. I'm quite happy with the results: I obsessed over it and thought about my coin every day... multiple times haha. If I could do it again I'd probably just take a toothpick to it when I got home as I don't think the olive oil had the time to work any magic or do much of anything. I may have darkened the coin but I'm happy with the results. I am super stoked on this coin and so happy with how it came out. Thanks to Smokey The Cat and others for cleaning advice that I didn't really get to take.... and thank you for reading!

1723 KG I Hibernia Farthing!

Attachments

• IMG_7481.JPG
    IMG_7481.JPG
    917.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_7492.JPG
    IMG_7492.JPG
    821.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7493.JPG
    IMG_7493.JPG
    822 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 27

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. That's one copper I haven't dug yet.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic job an a great coin. Doubt Ill ever find a copper around these parts. Awesome

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coppers! :icon_thumleft:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations. Really nice find.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a very good job with it. George I coppers are very hard to get, especially in this condition. I just had to repost!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that cleaning. It looks really nice.

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a very good job with it. George I coppers are very hard to get, especially in this condition. I just had to repost!

Thanks Smokey! Now I need to find a William III or a William and Mary! Also need to find a cartwheel penny and a …. and and and … the list never ends!!!!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done! :thumbsup:
Thanks for the update!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That came out nice!! I had the same issues cleaning my nova constellatio I found this summer. I just let it dry and carefully tooth picked it and finished it off with Andre’s pencils, great job brother!!

OP
OP
X

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That came out nice!! I had the same issues cleaning my nova constellatio I found this summer. I just let it dry and carefully tooth picked it and finished it off with Andre’s pencils, great job brother!!

Thanks Joe! Does your post have an updated photo of it? I'll look and see on the post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread