My Oldest CRH Find Ever- 173 Year Old Coin!

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was opening a box of halves a few days ago when I saw a black/dirty looking edge
staring back at me. I rolled the coins from one hand to the other doing a sound
check and heard that beautiful silver clang we all love. I was surprised to see
that I had found an 1840 One Rupee Coin. The front of the coin says "Victoria
Queen" and the rear of the coin says "East India Company One Rupee 1840". This
is now the oldest CRH coin I have ever found, beating out the 1874 3 Schilling
coin I found in a reject tube a few months ago. I am excited to do some checking
to find out more about this coin. Has anyone else ever found one that could shed
some light on this particular coin?

IMG_0099_zps5c6e40f0.jpg IMG_0100_zpsf1eb5942.jpg

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap man.. That is a dream find for sure.. Congrats

OP
OP
D

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Here are the pictures of the 3 Schilling coin. I just figured out how to post photos with photobucket so I should be able to share more of my finds. IMG_0077_zps57b31c04.jpg IMG_0078_zpsc7d31afd.jpg

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! I'm still waiting to find a coin that starts with 18 instead of 19XX.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sirreckless619 said:
Awesome. Nice coin. Could be worth $40-50

Very cool find! Might be worth even more - take it to a good dealer or look it up. Grades xf prob. Nice.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find.. I just found my first silver the other day in a roll of dimes and was extremly excited.. I could'nt imagine finding something like that.. Awesome find congrats...:hello2:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I have info, but there are like 10 distinct varieties which can have a huge alteration on the value.

OP
OP
D

Detectorinator

Dec 27, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not a 3 shilling, but 3 pence, which is just worth melt.

Thanks for the info (and correction) but I guess value is in the eye of the beholder. It may be worth less money than a 40%er but to me it went into a protective sleeve and is one of my prized pieces. Funny how that happens. I guess I could call it "cool value" over "cash value" lol

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info (and correction) but I guess value is in the eye of the beholder. It may be worth less money than a 40%er but to me it went into a protective sleeve and is one of my prized pieces. Funny how that happens. I guess I could call it "cool value" over "cash value" lol

Yessir, cash is nice but cool wins any day. Just ask any rapper.... errr... teenager, yeah, that's it. It's bling that matters.

But seriously, that'd be a piece I'd show the girls at the bank to explain why I hunt. I like silver and will gladly take every piece I find and more, but my greatest satisfaction comes from finding rare and/or exotic pieces that I had no chance of ever finding when I was collecting as a kid. Even a paper route only netted a very modest volume of coins to search, unlike hunting box after box, roll after roll.

CRH'ing satisfies both the investor in me as well as the kid inside.

Rascal

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool old silver coin. Congrats. Does anyone know the silver purity? Sterling?

drbecker

Feb 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool old silver coin. Congrats. Does anyone know the silver purity? Sterling?

According to what I find online (11.66 g, .917 fine silver) so yes a silver coin. About $11 melt value has to be worth more as a coin.

Neat find.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find! Definetly has the cool factor! My oldest is 1908. Super find! HH, maverick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread