My oldest dime

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't hunted much lately (mostly due to the heat) but I did get out a couple times recently.
It's always fun meeting up with the usual suspects like Lowbatts, Kims Dad, Watercolor, Clad the Impaler, and Skates.

Mostly got the usual clad coinage, miscellaneous shredded pieces of aluminum cans, pull tabs, rusty objects like nails, bolts, barbed wire, automotive battery cable terminals, scores of mosquito bites, and a new found allergy to Deep Woods Off Wipes with 25% Deet. Maybe not so much allergy as chemical burn.

The photo of my finds for the last couple hunts shows 3 wheats - 1911, 1936, 1944. Heaps of mem cents and other clad coins. The dime in the center is my oldest US dime found so far. I got it while I was checking out a parkway area near some recent street work, and the other guys were checking out something else across the street. And wow she is something else! Anyways back to the dime...

I got a signal that was mixed up between crummy and penny - it was shallow but high tone, so I figured I might as well dig another mem cent and add it to the mix - we were getting ready to move to another place anyways so one last dig here. I pinpoint it with the coil, dig my plug, turn over the plug and put the Pro Pointer in the hole to zero in on it. Keep in mind the hole is less than 2 inches deep at this point. Now I grab a small bit of dirt and there's the silver in my hand! I carefully brushed off the dry dirt enough to see that it was a seated. Clad the Impaler was right next to me and offered his pill bottle of water to clean it up and after a few shakes, I took it out and could clearly see it's an 1876. The back shows more wear than the front but hey - when I'm 134 years old I hope to look that good after being pulled out of the ground.

The day continued on for about another 4 or 5 hours in a different area but this wound up being my best coin.

Attachments

• 8-15-10.jpg
    8-15-10.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 262
  • 1876Dime.jpg
    1876Dime.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 1876Dime2.jpg
    1876Dime2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 229

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice seated dime Mayo!! Pulled the same year dime out myself back in April.
Great surprise when the signal sounds like another mem cent. DFW

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mayo Mayo Mayo

Welcome to the seated club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Rich, Mayo's seated came out from the other end of the same block where you got yours earlier on in this street work site.

Yeah baby!

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That street should be renamed "SEATED". Hey Tim, yours was only a few feet away from that corner,
the 1877 right? Maybe cracks will develop into the sidewalk east on Franklin and need to be redone next
year, we missed that section by only hours.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did someone say "Seated"?

All that any of us (across the street at the time you found your seated) could think about
was that blonde that was "seated" on the porch steps watching you dig your Seated :D :D

Awesome find Mayo :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
The Fraternal Order of Finders of Seateds is quite the exclusive group, but growing rapidly in membership. Very nice coin! I've yet to find an OLD coin yet this year.

Joe

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Congrats on joining our club! Seateds are a great find. Now you will be longing for that Seated quarter next....
:thumbsup:

Seated or Bust(ed)!

OP
OP
Mayo South Elgin

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was my first seated dime - not my first seated coin!
Previously (2009) I got a seated quarter in front of a Church on another sidewalk/park way tear out.
I believe I posted pics of it at that time but in case you missed it, photo below.

Attachments

• 1891Quarter.jpg
    1891Quarter.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 194

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, Mayo and the South Street episodes.... where all the hippies meet.

Apparently one of my low-value finds but still one of my favs came from there.

Attachments

• cleanedstones.jpg
    cleanedstones.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 176
  • cleanedstones.jpg
    cleanedstones.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 164

Pocket Spill

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Always great to see a Seated post! Congratulations! Looks like the Etrac is really producing. Keep digging those iffy signals

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW WOW WOW Your tearin up up out there!!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Im still waiting to join the Seated club, maybe next hunt will be my ticket in... :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions