My painting was STOLEN from our local museum.... $1,000 REWARD!!

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Brings me great sadness and anger to report that one of the two paintings I recently posted from Paterson N.J. was stolen from the directors office a few days before it was to be hung to commemorate the 225 Anniversary of Alexander Hamilton and the founding of Paterson N.J.. I was unaware there were no cameras in the museum and I might not have loaned them the two paintings I did had I know that to be the case, but none the less someone walked into the office area and into the director's office and took only one of the two paintings leaning up against a cabinet.

My thought and the prevailing theory is it had to be someone who works there or is very comfortable going in and out of the museum because they had to know there were no cameras, the painting was 22-1/2"X 24-5/8" in it's frame. On the day it was taken it was fairly warm and you would have to be an enormous person to hide a painting that size under a jacket, or your clothing, which further leads everyone to think it was an inside job. The other painting was left behind, even though it is the more valuable of the two, and it is now hanging on exhibit. The city is putting cameras in now, and my painting is insured by the city, but I prefer to have it back.

I have two young nieces and I planned to leave a painting to each one of them, and unless it's recovered I will either have to get very lucky finding another 1840's oil on board of the Passaic River Falls, or sell the other painting when my health is failing and just leave the money to the girls. The city is offering a $1,000 reward, so if you see this painting please report it to the police in Paterson NJ, the Paterson Museum or to me in a comment here. Without the frame the painting measures 17-1/2" X 19-5/8"

The painting...

$$falls.jpg

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry for your loss; I could not help my self and decided to look it up through the Observatory, the US is some what behind the times when it comes to the illicit trafficking of stolen works of art and cultural property. I was shocked to see that no report has been filed but then I figured with a painting such as this that it would have gone straight to the top or at near it, but it is not Red Listed with ICOM and no records are on hand with Interpol either.

I would suggest that you get a case number and report it your self to the above mentioned Observatory and Interpol, Interpol will get back with you the fastest. However the place it was taken from should have already filed something with ICOM, the fact that they had not would make me think it was shopped privately.

If you need any assistance with this matter feel free to PM me and I will forward you my contact details so that you can get on the right track.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure hope they find the culprit, I feel your pain....this is one reason I have held back from loaning my historical items out. An insurance claim is not even close to the item insured, especially if there are sentiments toward it. Keep up hope.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ugh....that's so sucky to read about.
Hope the artwork comes back, and the thief gets prosecuted.

OP
OP
epackage

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry for your loss; I could not help my self and decided to look it up through the Observatory, the US is some what behind the times when it comes to the illicit trafficking of stolen works of art and cultural property. I was shocked to see that no report has been filed but then I figured with a painting such as this that it would have gone straight to the top or at near it, but it is not Red Listed with ICOM and no records are on hand with Interpol either.

I would suggest that you get a case number and report it your self to the above mentioned Observatory and Interpol, Interpol will get back with you the fastest. However the place it was taken from should have already filed something with ICOM, the fact that they had not would make me think it was shopped privately.

If you need any assistance with this matter feel free to PM me and I will forward you my contact details so that you can get on the right track.
Thank you, will do that, greatly appreciated...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread