My Pal Charlie: A tale of true colors (and a large cent plus mercs)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Today I went out for a hunt in the morning with my buddy Charlie. Charlie and I go way back, as many of you all do with hunting partners. I found an 1839 LC, but the backstory I Feel is the highlight of this post.

Yesterday I received a text from a t-net member with a pic of a giant friggin' seated dollar. He said his sister-in-law found it and she just started detecting. So the first thing I asked was if he took her to one of his spots, and demonstrated to him how much he sucks at detecting (just a jab). He said that he has taken her to many of his spots but she found this on her own, and in fact wouldn't tell him nor invite him to be "secret spot". That's her choice and its fine, but as he put it, "at least I know where I stand".

Fast forward to my friend Charlie. Charlie found a Liberty Cap the other day, 1794. First thing he did was send me a text which was quickly followed by a phone call. Awesome Charlie, that's bloody amazing I said. The next words out of his mouth were, "Steve you gotta check this place out man. I ain't going back until you come with me". Now that's a friend and a good detecting buddy. Now originally Charlie, Bartek, and I were supposed to hit a secret site but Bartek just came off a 10 day Tequila binge in Mexico and had to catch up at work, so Charlie and I went to the Liberty cap spot.

Not 10 feet from where he found the Lib Cap I pulled this LC ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450484205.485575.jpg

After a few hours ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450484229.276725.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1450484239.399423.jpg

Thanks Charlie for the hunt.

I tell my two kids constantly that sharing is caring. It doesn't work all the time but man it feels good to both give and receive. This holiday season everyone needs to give away their best spots to friends. Ok, that's a bit far, but take them to one you've only hit a few times;)

Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting y'all.

Steve

Upvote 22

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great story scrappy it seems that Charlie is freaking nuts to bring you with scrappy mojo to his secret spot !!
Thanks for s great hunt. Eastcoast (Charlie)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post Scraps. I think 2 Mercs from one spot is the best I have done. You've made me feel inadequate again! Hope you're happy!:tongue3:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries and story as it's true about the sharing, Buddy Dave comes down every two weeks or so and we go to sites that suck our brains out. :tongue3:
10 day binge on to-kill-ya, ouch!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and great story! :occasion14:

I always share my "hot" places with my friends, to me it's the fun of the hunt and enjoying the outing. I have given lots of my old silver and copper coins to young children of friends, family members and club members that that would appreciate their beauty. Plus, it gives me an excuse to go out and find more!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Steve..
Hey Im still waiting for you to share a site with me!!
I believe its 3-0??? Lol

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh nice finds!!!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great story scrappy it seems that Charlie is freaking nuts to bring you with scrappy mojo to his secret spot !!
Thanks for s great hunt. Eastcoast (Charlie)

Nah I wasn't talking about you, it's some other Charlie lol

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post Scraps. I think 2 Mercs from one spot is the best I have done. You've made me feel inadequate again! Hope you're happy!:tongue3:

Wait a minute. You found your war nickel! You can't possibly be feeling that way yet! Lol

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Steve..
Hey Im still waiting for you to share a site with me!!
I believe its 3-0??? Lol

Friends don't keep score Georgie! Lol. I should have put that in my post as well. You know I get you back in the spring when i have a new set of permissions

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friends don't keep score Georgie! Lol. I should have put that in my post as well. You know I get you back in the spring when i have a new set of permissions

Whatever? Lol

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the large cent Scrappy. And for the record, if I had any friends that detected-I would share my spots with them.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the large cent Scrappy. And for the record, if I had any friends that detected-I would share my spots with them.

HEY BUDDY! You get on a really hot spot and I'll be your very best friend if you invite me. And trust me I will drive from NC for a really hot spot too! LOL

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, Steve. Hope to get to meet you next time I am up that way. Hopefully George can secure a good, new permission and the three of us can hunt it.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tis the season Scrappy, :icon_santa: great post and awesome digs. I am pretty stingy when it comes to sharing permissions, I have only shared great permissions with my brother-in-law since his life has been very busy these past 2 years. He has only had about 80 hours of coil time in the past 2 years where as I have about 1000. I have hunted with only one other MDer in the area and he is also super busy, he may only get to swing the coil about 50 hours a year, if he's lucky, since he works 2 jobs. I am mainly a lone wolf hunter. I do enjoy assisting newbs I see hunting, in my local travels. They are normally minors who are trying to learn their new detector.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Steve. Everyone should think like that ( although we know they dont ). My detecting partner & I trade off finding spots, & it works out great. He has made some outstanding finds at my spots, & I have made some outstanding finds at his spots. ( In the interest of competition - I am ahead ) & I'm not even competitive !

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY BUDDY! You get on a really hot spot and I'll be your very best friend if you invite me. And trust me I will drive from NC for a really hot spot too! LOL

Lol Beez, if I ever manage to find another hot spot I will let you know!

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve, it's a pleasure hunting with you guys, if even just for the comic relief, we have many laughs and manage to pull few keepers! That is what makes this hobby awesome: we research, bust chops, share stories, and dig history! Happy holidays to all TN members!

...ps, the tequila has left my system, I'm ready for few more hunts before the end of the year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread