My Paleo Assemblage

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(I was asked to show some of my older pieces so I'm going to bump up a few of my posts so they can see them rather than post them again)

I don't know if I've posted these here before or not, but these are about the extent of my Paleo collection from my area.

Everything in this tray is from the same site except the 4 Points in the top left of the first picture and the 3 in the top right of the 2nd picture. Of the 4 on the left, the first one I got in trade years ago and was found in Ada, Ohio. The one right next to it I got out of a "junk box" at the Flea Market for $1 and it is fluted and ground on the base. The other two are from St Paul, Ky and personal finds. The 3 on the top right are 2 casts and a repro. The white and yellow ones I got from Tom Westfall and are casts of point he has found. The white one is a Jimmy Allen Point and the yellow one I think he said was a Plainview. The gray one is just a repro that I used for filler.

The 5 points in the 3rd picture and the gray Blade 5th from the left in the 1st picture, along with all the Scrapers and Tools are all from the same site located in Haverhill, Ohio and is one of the very few actual Paleo sites known of in my area. There was a really nice Clovis found there about 10 years ago and the little brown point 2nd from the right in the 3rd picture is a heavily reworked Clovis point that is fluted almost to the tip on one side and nicely ground on the base and the only Clovis I have ever found. There is also a broken Pine Tree, a Decataur with a Spokeshave on it, and a small Lance type in the center of picture #2 that were found there.

I'll post some close ups of some of the points and few other pieces from there in the next post.

Attachments

• Paleo008.jpg
    Paleo008.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 697
  • Paleo013.jpg
    Paleo013.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 717
  • Paleo001.jpg
    Paleo001.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 752
  • Paleo002.jpg
    Paleo002.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 705
  • Paleo005.jpg
    Paleo005.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 706
  • Paleo008.jpg
    Paleo008.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 682
  • Paleo006.jpg
    Paleo006.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 707
  • Paleo014.jpg
    Paleo014.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 699
  • Paleo007.jpg
    Paleo007.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 697
  • Paleo009.jpg
    Paleo009.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 666
  • Paleo011.jpg
    Paleo011.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 674
  • Paleo012.jpg
    Paleo012.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 672
  • Paleo010.jpg
    Paleo010.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These pieces are from the same site. The first 4 are of the best Paleo Uniface Blade I have ever found. I found this piece years ago on this site before I really knew what Paleo pieces were and it laid in a box for a long time and then after we started hunting this spot again and I realized all the Paleo coming from there I went and found it and got it out of the box and luckily it hadn't been damaged.

The others are some close ups of some of the points.

Attachments

• Uniface Tools (37).jpg
    Uniface Tools (37).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 699
  • Uniface Tools (33).jpg
    Uniface Tools (33).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 739
  • Uniface Tools (39).jpg
    Uniface Tools (39).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 661
  • Uniface Tools (38).jpg
    Uniface Tools (38).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 666
  • Uniface Tools (37).jpg
    Uniface Tools (37).jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 640
  • Uniface Tools (33).jpg
    Uniface Tools (33).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 649
  • Uniface Tools (38).jpg
    Uniface Tools (38).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 636
  • Uniface Tools (39).jpg
    Uniface Tools (39).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 635
  • Paleo Points (1).jpg
    Paleo Points (1).jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 648
  • Paleo Points (2).jpg
    Paleo Points (2).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 661
  • Paleo Points (6).jpg
    Paleo Points (6).jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 626
  • Paleo Points (4).jpg
    Paleo Points (4).jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 626
  • Paleo Points (3).jpg
    Paleo Points (3).jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 649
  • Paleo Points (11).jpg
    Paleo Points (11).jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 639
  • Paleo Points (12).jpg
    Paleo Points (12).jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 629
  • Paleo Points (13).jpg
    Paleo Points (13).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 648

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Steve. They look good all together. Is funny how we find things years ago and later on learn about them especially Paleo tools. I often wonder how many things I left on the ground because I did not recognise them for being an artifact.
That is the beauty of t-net. Getting to see killer stuff like this and learning.
Thanks!
TnMtns

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMountains said:
Very nice Steve. They look good all together. Is funny how we find things years ago and later on learn about them especially Paleo tools. I often wonder how many things I left on the ground because I did not recognise them for being an artifact.
That is the beauty of t-net. Getting to see killer stuff like this and learning.
Thanks!
TnMtns

Thanks TnMountains. I know what you mean about finding things later on after learning more about items. I remember when I first started hunting Ft Ancient sites I would pick up the Marginella Shell Beads and toss them back down thinking they were just snail shells. I felt like an idiot after a guy showed me that they were actually Beads. I also remember going through my boxes of "broken" points about 20 or 25 years ago and picking out probably 50 or more Hafted Scrapers and other Tools that I thought were broken artifacts. Knowledge is a big plus in this and any hobby. If we don't know what to look for and what traits to recognize on pieces we will pass up a lot of good artifacts along the way. I have been collecting for 45 years and I learn new things all the time.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection of paleo points and tools. Hey SRV is Haverhill, Ohio close to Hanging Rock, or Ironton, Ohio? I am thinking about trying to come down to hunt around the ohio river, or somewhere around wheelersburg!

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
choo said:
Nice collection of paleo points and tools. Hey SRV is Haverhill, Ohio close to Hanging Rock, or Ironton, Ohio? I am thinking about trying to come down to hunt around the ohio river, or somewhere around wheelersburg!

Yes, Haverhill is located between Wheelersburg and Ironton on Old State Rt 52, or County Rd 1. I live in Wheelersburg and hunt these fields all the time and have for the past 45 years. My first find ever was found just past Franklin Furnace and close to Haverhill.

I wouldn't waste my time right now unless you plan on hunting the Ohio River bank because we haven't had enough rain to wash anything out. We just barely got enough rain early this morning to wet the ground from the system that just went through. We may get some in the next couple of days though but the other problem is the fields that have been turned all have winter wheat in them and it's almost getting to high to hunt them now. I'll send you my number in a PM and if you come down this way give me a call and maybe I can steer you to some good spots.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting that long but really never considered myself a collector. I just enjoyed finding them and ended up with a bunch. No telling how many hammer stones I have thrown into the water and scrapers. I still chunk pottery out to deep water and flakes. Not long ago I found a smooth perfect greenstone platter like nothing I had ever seen as green stone is common here.I skipped it several times out into the river.I am thinking now it might have served as a food platter or something,lol.
Oh well it is fun. I need to post some of my finds from this year I think I have a few keepers one being a killer elk river and a decent benton. I will not hunt hard until January. I lost my boat hunting partner and have not found my groove again.
Have good safe hunts.
TnMtns

SouthernGirl

Nov 6, 2008
alabama
I LOVE when you guys post tools like this. In the cove where I live there is several people that hunt artifacts, one of which is a retired teacher and he has be hunting artifacts for many years and I have only just started so I only knew what he would tell me about points. I picked up lots of tools and he and my husband would say that is just a piece of flint or that is broke. Lucky for me I found this website and have learned so much. I never disagree I just say ok if you don't want it I will take it home with me. ;D

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthernGirl said:
I LOVE when you guys post tools like this. In the cove where I live there is several people that hunt artifacts, one of which is a retired teacher and he has be hunting artifacts for many years and I have only just started so I only knew what he would tell me about points. I picked up lots of tools and he and my husband would say that is just a piece of flint or that is broke. Lucky for me I found this website and have learned so much. I never disagree I just say ok if you don't want it I will take it home with me. ;D

Yep you can always sort them out at home. I think everyone here has a rock garden :laughing7:

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SouthernGirl said:

Thanks SouthernGirl, I'm glad I could help you out. Until you get a good feel for the pieces in your area and know what you are finding it's a good idea to just take everything home, clean it up, and then decide if it's anything worth keeping or something to toss in the rock garden. You may end up with a lot of "just rocks" in the beginning, but you will eventually learn what to keep and what to throw back down so you won't be bringing as much home. Good luck and if you ever need any help don't hesitate to ask.

Johnny X

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2005
Jerseyville Illinois
Detector(s) used
White's Spec. XLT..... My Eyes
:notworthy:This is me being JEALOUS!!! Man Paleo is hard to come by in TFTNF. Very nice post.

Keep your eyes on the ground.
StevenX

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread