Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By the simple nature of having promised to use my digger only and no shovel in this hard packed ground, I have been very rough on my digger. This also means being rough on the palm of my hand as I try to dig and pry into the concrete... I mean dirt. After numerous digging adventures, the rubber grip's end wore off and so I was shoving against bare metal and this was beginning to tell on my palm (wearing gloves) so I knew I had to do something. At first I was searching for something metal, round and more comfortable to the hand but then I spotted this black rubber tip (I can't remember what they went to, I had bought a couple of them at the local hardware store last year for something). Being tapered, the rubber end pushed in tightly (had to drive it in) and felt pretty darn good. But the proof is in use and now after three days of use, I love it. I hadn't glued it in yet but that will be next, sure is easy on my hand which means digging longer and harder. The cross penny was found yesterday while using the mod digger. Thanks for checking it out. View attachment 1015600
View attachment 1015601
View attachment 1015602

Upvote 0

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa !! sweeet modification there, looter! I actually have a cheapo Gator Digger that came in the package deal when I got my machine, and it wasn't long that the end came through the grip, such as yours. With more time than money here, I found a large nut that just fit into the end and then welded it around the edges and then ground it down smooth, almost looked factory! After removing the original, ripped, cheap grip, I took an atv handlegrip and shoved it over the handle-perfect fit! Thanks for sharing...good stuff!..ddf

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the rubber is soft, kind of nice to older hands, if and when it wears out, I will be finding some more for sure. thanks

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the rubber piece is off of an old crutch.

Nice work!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no, it is way too small for that, it actually has threads inside it so it screws onto something. kind of reminds me of one of those tips for a tri pod or something.

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my knees replaced last year and that sure looks like the tip of a walking cane. They have the threads on them to aide in keeping them on the pole. Either way, nice mod!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the knees, the back, the eyes, the ankles, the feet... the list goes on as you get older. I have to have those knee pads, hated the hard plastic shield on them so took them off and replaced with some leather from an old purse, a whole lot easier. when you are out there in the heat and humidity, there is no use in being even more miserable than you have to be....Are we having fun yet? sometimes in small doses, but you find anything cool at all and you are good for another hour or so! good hunting out there and stay hydrated.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice idea!! And I bet that Gator Razor edge pierces the hard ground better than the other digging tools with it's narrow blade, I know mine does, and I do keep it sharp.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well... where i live, there's not too much of the ground piercing, between the hard clay, gravel, shale, roots and tons of rock. I am pretty envious of those guys in the videos that dig in the black dirt and are able to actually cut out plugs. don't get me wrong, there are areas around here that are actually dirt, usually garden areas that had a lot of the rocks removed but the norm is not. Pretty much an easy 95% of where i can hunt right now would be hard to even try to use a shovel, at least the ones I have. The guys trying to put in the telephone poles struggle to get them in at times. I do like my digger and it seems to be pretty tough for what I put it through. I ruined several other tools before getting it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread