TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to find out if there is anyone out there who has tried to sell their personal
collection and how they went about doing this.
I have an extensive collection found over 30 years and would like to find out how to get
all of it appraised fairly, and then maybe to sell it for the best offer.

I have no clue, I know some things are worth a lot, like the Confederate Script A
Or the Train Baggage tags.
Some nice Romans, and many differant items.
All this stuff is in a Safety Deposit Box at a bank.
Any way having these things appraised by an honest company ?
Some I could trust to tell me the truth, or auction some stuff off...
I don't trust EBay, because most people don't sell real items there and the prices would be low
for nice pieces.
Any help is appreciated.
Richard

If it were me and I didn't need the money immediately I would find a specialty auction for what ever type of items you have in your collection. Auctioneers are usually very knowlegable and honest for the most part (there is always 1 or 2 that aren't). They would be able to give you an idea of what your items are worth and roughly what you could expect to get from them at auction. This might take a few months to get the money for them but would probably get you your best price. Good luck,

HH Charlie

Your lack of experience is very clear given your opinion of Ebay. Where do you think collectors are buying most of their items these days? Your thoughts are so far from the truth I wouldn't know where to start in correcting you.

If you want the most out of your stuff learn to take a good picture, take the time to properly list it, and you'll make WAY more than anyone would offer for your collection lump some. My transactions is well into the thousands on Ebay and if it wasn't the place to be I'm pretty sure I would have figured it out by now.

Iron Patch said:
Your lack of experience is very clear given your opinion of Ebay. Where do you think collectors are buying most of their items these days? Your thoughts are so far from the truth I wouldn't know where to start in correcting you.

If you want the most out of your stuff learn to take a good picture, take the time to properly list it, and you'll make WAY more than anyone would offer for your collection lump some. My transactions is well into the thousands on Ebay and if it wasn't the place to be I'm pretty sure I would have figured it out by now.

Thanks for the lack of confidence, I run an Ebay store and sell on Amazon and have been for 5 years
and I know what happens when someone like you see's a nice piece of history sitting there,
you bid low and hope no one else finds this item, so you can get it for next to nothing.

I have done searches on Ebay for "Civil War" related items and see a few bullets and maybe an
Eagle button in some kind of display for sale, but I have never seen authentic Confederate
Military items.

Or maybe items that can not be categorized so you shoot in the dark where to list them and see them
go for nothing.

Years ago when I first got on the internet I sold a Regimental button from the Napoleon Wars in Europe
with a nice Reg. number clean but dug.

and the high bid was $20 of the 3 people who bid in the week it was listed.

I want to know how much some of my things are worth, not just to stick them on an auction site and
take whatever 3 dollar yo yo out there wants to pay.

I was asking for serious advise, not a desire to be insulted on my Ebay selling capabilities.

First of all, you're going to need to do some research on the possible values of the stuff you have. Yeah, its not going to be easy, but how are you going to know if you're being ripped off or not, when you talk to a dealer about selling what you have? There are value guides out there. Or, if you decide to sell the stuff on-line you're going to need what its worth. Also, you have to know that the price you will realize is going to be what someone is willing to pay for it, how badly they want it, not necessarily what the book value is. If it were me I would find a couple of different relic dealers and approach them with something I had an idea of the value of and ask them what they thought it was worth. Don't sell the item, just use it to judge the responses and get a feel for who will do you right. And, if you're in a hurry to sell off what you have you're not going to realize the full value of what you have, as it takes time to find the right buyer(s). Good Luck!

TORRERO said:
Iron Patch said:

Thanks for the lack of confidence, I run an Ebay store and sell on Amazon and have been for 5 years
and I know what happens when someone like you see's a nice piece of history sitting there,
you bid low and hope no one else finds this item, so you can get it for next to nothing.

I have done searches on Ebay for "Civil War" related items and see a few bullets and maybe an
Eagle button in some kind of display for sale, but I have never seen authentic Confederate
Military items.

Or maybe items that can not be categorized so you shoot in the dark where to list them and see them
go for nothing.

Years ago when I first got on the internet I sold a Regimental button from the Napoleon Wars in Europe

I want to know how much some of my things are worth, not just to stick them on an auction site and

I was asking for serious advise, not a desire to be insulted on my Ebay selling capabilities.

Yeah that's what I do, throw a low bid early and hope to steal your item for nothing. :D

Lack of confidence... no, reading your reply more like hopeless. I gave you the right advice but if you want to take it the wrong way and fight about it... whatever.

TORRERO said:
Iron Patch said:

Military items.

go for nothing.

They do have a reserve option you can use. It's an auction site. If it's in demand, It will bring a good price.
Newt

....and if there has never been authentic Confederate items just imagine what real ones would fetch! :wink: :thumbsup:

Tag For watching

I agree with others that eBay will net you the most. I'm sorry that you do not feel that it is the right venue for you. The other collectibles I am interested in have done quite well on there - I've both bought low and sold high, but I have also bought high and sold low. This is the nature of an auction and the collectibles market. :dontknow: I promise you the "real" collectors are checking eBay, as you never know what will turn up.

Sending stuff to a "real" auction you'll lose at least 10-20% off the top. Sounds like you have a mixed bag of objects as well, and that makes it hard as you'll have smaller lots to consign to different auctions. A dealer is only going to pay you about 50% of what they think they can get for it - that's pretty much standard.

Other options include:
Setting up a table at a local CW relic/gun/coin show and seeing what you can sell direct to the public.
Listing items for sale on metal detecting forum classifieds.
Craigslist

As far as appraisers, you'll have a hard time with that as well because of the variety of items. Very few licensed appraisers know a lot about everything... they tend to know a little about a lot of things. Any estate auctioneer who handles coins and "smalls" in your area should be willing to give you an appraisal/estimate, maybe for a fee, which is entirely justified.

Often we overvalue the things we own, and it's hard to let go of that, but stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay at the time we want to sell. Ask anyone trying to sell a home in this market!

Nick A (at1cad) said:
I agree with others that eBay will net you the most. I'm sorry that you do not feel that it is the right venue for you. The other collectibles I am interested in have done quite well on there - I've both bought low and sold high, but I have also bought high and sold low. This is the nature of an auction and the collectibles market. :dontknow: I promise you the "real" collectors are checking eBay, as you never know what will turn up.

Sending stuff to a "real" auction you'll lose at least 10-20% off the top. Sounds like you have a mixed bag of objects as well, and that makes it hard as you'll have smaller lots to consign to different auctions. A dealer is only going to pay you about 50% of what they think they can get for it - that's pretty much standard.

Other options include:
Setting up a table at a local CW relic/gun/coin show and seeing what you can sell direct to the public.
Craigslist

As far as appraisers, you'll have a hard time with that as well because of the variety of items. Very few licensed appraisers know a lot about everything... they tend to know a little about a lot of things. Any estate auctioneer who handles coins and "smalls" in your area should be willing to give you an appraisal/estimate, maybe for a fee, which is entirely justified.

Often we overvalue the things we own, and it's hard to let go of that, but stuff is only worth what someone is willing to pay at the time we want to sell. Ask anyone trying to sell a home in this market!

That's a good reply. :thumbsup:

Nick A (at1cad) said:

Other options include:
Craigslist

I would have to fully argee with the above. Keep in mind that if you are trying to sell through something like a pawn shop, you will never even get close to the value because they need to make a profit. The key word here is VALUE. Value is what the collector places on a wanted item, not the true worth. My best example is take a barber dime to a bank and you will get a brand new clad dime. Why? Because a dime is only worth $0.10 even though the silver content is worth more. What is ones mans garbage is anothers mans gold.

I would suggest that you try and research the best you can and price to to an area where you will feel comfortable parting with it. I hope this helps

I would have to fully agree with the above. Keep in mind that if you are trying to sell through something like a pawn shop, you will never even get close to the value because they need to make a profit. The key word here is VALUE. Value is what the collector places on a wanted item, not the true worth. My best example is take a barber dime to a bank and you will get a brand new clad dime. Why? Because a dime is only worth $0.10 even though the silver content is worth more. What is ones mans garbage is another mans gold.

I would suggest that you try and research the best you can and price to to an area where you will feel comfortable parting with it. I hope this helps

Let me try to clear up some of this mud slinging (not everyone)
What I said was I am trying to determine if anyone on this forum has sold or attempted to sell their
entire collection.

My collection spans almost 30 years, with maybe 200 buttons, 300 - 400 coins and a variety of
items that to me seem to be one of kind items that might need a "Mark Parker"
Identification. Or items that are fit for a museum but might not be recognizable by the common
EBay buyer.

BUT OK GUYS !!! I GET YOUR POINT, I can sell on EBay
But the reality and logistics of trying to sell an entire collection of maybe more than 1000 pieces,
piecemeal on a site like EBay is daunting in the utmost.
I was trying to figure out, considering the number of people who visit this site, as to wheather
anyone here had ever tried to sell an entire collection like that because I am getting older and this stuff
is sitting in a Safety deposit box.
Instead I get someone telling me I have extreme lack of experience in how to sell things..
and hurling what seems to me as insults to my intelligence.

Now I'm not sure I should have asked..
I say thank you to those who sent me info that has helped me as I appreciate that.

When I got out of the hospital I was on workman's comp drawing $84 per week and facing a $600 morgage payment and a $513,000 hospital bill and they were not willing to wait for the insurance to pay their part they all wanted their money NOW. I had one working leg and one working arm and I tore
into my collections and started selling on ebay. The tokens I parcelled out by state and used the tag line SETTLE ESTATE and the words (state name) TOKENS. They were all gone in ten days. I then tore into the baseball cards and sold commons by team and stars by the name and rookies by the name. When I was off work i could run 50 to 100 auctions per week. I sold rare books and catalogs individually. Magazines i sold by title in one auction and
some brought very high prices. Best token sale was two pieces for $155.
Your typical auction house will charge about 35% of the sale prices minus any advance they front you. Ebay will charge you around 5%. The key to ebay is the 45 letters they give you for a title. If they don't click on the title they won't know that you have something they want. Learn to sell on the back end. By that i mean sell something cheap or common. when you ship it enclose a list of your otrher items and what you want for them. siegfried schlagrule

TORRERO said:
I would have to fully agree with the above. Keep in mind that if you are trying to sell through something like a pawn shop, you will never even get close to the value because they need to make a profit. The key word here is VALUE. Value is what the collector places on a wanted item, not the true worth. My best example is take a barber dime to a bank and you will get a brand new clad dime. Why? Because a dime is only worth $0.10 even though the silver content is worth more. What is ones mans garbage is another mans gold.

Let me try to clear up some of this mud slinging (not everyone)
What I said was I am trying to determine if anyone on this forum has sold or attempted to sell their
entire collection.

My collection spans almost 30 years, with maybe 200 buttons, 300 - 400 coins and a variety of
items that to me seem to be one of kind items that might need a "Mark Parker"
Identification. Or items that are fit for a museum but might not be recognizable by the common
EBay buyer.

BUT OK GUYS !!! I GET YOUR POINT, I can sell on EBay
But the reality and logistics of trying to sell an entire collection of maybe more than 1000 pieces,
piecemeal on a site like EBay is daunting in the utmost.
I was trying to figure out, considering the number of people who visit this site, as to wheather
anyone here had ever tried to sell an entire collection like that because I am getting older and this stuff
is sitting in a Safety deposit box.
Instead I get someone telling me I have extreme lack of experience in how to sell things..
and hurling what seems to me as insults to my intelligence.

Now I'm not sure I should have asked..
I say thank you to those who sent me info that has helped me as I appreciate that.

If most are quality items you will lose your shirt if you don't sell piece by piece. A couple of years ago I had piles of stuff everywhere, military buttons, misc. coins, higher end coins under store listings, just a bunch of stuff that I wanted to cash out on. Looking at it all I thought I had about $7,000-$8,000 but after selling it item by item my total after 3 weeks was 20k.

TORRERO said:
trying to sell an entire collection of maybe more than 1000 pieces, piecemeal on a site like EBay is daunting in the utmost

Yep, I agree. This is the problem I have. It is easy to buy, but a pain to sell. For one of my collections, I found a guy willing to work at 10% commission. He sold my stuff for me mostly on relevant online collector boards. Ended up he got me more money than I would have charged, so even after the 10%, I made more than I thought I would.

So, that said, you may want to look for someone willing to do the selling for you? Just an idea.

I would still bet on Ebay. Even more so if your stuff is in demand.
Newt

If it were me, I'd have to sell one piece at a time. Selling an entire collection at once will net you far less than one piece at a time. I know you probably know this, and Ebay may not be the ideal venue for every piece. If there are pieces that are important only to a limited audience, you may need to find that audience rather than use ebay. In those cases, I would do some research online and find authorities on the items and begin the quest to find the appropriate venue for each item. Civil war buyers/collectors may not give you fair price on you coins or baggage tags, and coin dealers may not want your civil war stuff and won't know what it's worth anyway, so in other words, you're going to need more than one or two experts to cover all your bases. Also, if any of your items are of importance to a specific region, they will generally be more valuable in that region than anywhere else, with a few exceptions. It takes a lot of legwork to liquidate an entire collection especially if it is a random mix type collection. It doesn't happen all at once or all in one place unless it happens waaay too cheap.

I agree selling items individually will net you more but will obviously be more work. eBay is funny. I have sold items for MUCH more than what would be realistic in a different market, even without a reserve. I have also found (with WWII items) that local auctions seem to fetch higher prices probably because buyers have a better idea of what they are getting. You may want to research an auction house, especially one that often deals with items similar to yours as some of these auctions are 1 or 2 day events that bring in people from across the country which may get you more $. You might have to wait longer but it's worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back