ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My purse find as per "Baron Von De Kalb's" post

I found this last year actually...but I don't believe I have posted it on this forum...so here it is.

I found this in a park that I was told was hunted out. Apparently club hunts have taken place in this park for about 15 years. The last 3 years not one coin has been found. Very odd. I have detecting this park about 5 times now...and I have pulled at least 50 pre-1900 coins from this place...about 30 of which have been silver :) Of course, they are all 8+ inches deep.

Anyhow, I decided to try an area that appeared disturbed, as the roots of the trees and the wide portion of the tree trunks were all buried. I could tell it was landscaped, and figured in most places at least a foot of fill had been added. This was an area along the road that was done up for curb appeal I guess. It consisted of constant rolling "knolls"...and after a few minutes I quickly realized my initial impressions were correct.

I decided that my best bet would be to try the lowest areas (which are only about 5 feet x 5 feet each) in between these manmade knolls....figuring that it was perhaps the original soil. Sure enough, in the first low area I found 3 indian heads in about 15 minutes. Nothing in the next. A Canadian large cent in the next...and nothing in the next.

When I got into the last dip...it was pretty dark. I got a really busted up signal...that varied big time. I dug down about 7" and put my probe in the hole. I got a coin signal that about blew my ears off. I couldn't see really, so poked into the dirt with my finger and popped out a large cent. I was happy. Like always however, I put my probe back into the hole...and was surprised to hear another sweet coin signal. Once again, poked into the soil and pulled out another large cent. "Nah...couldn't be" I thought, as I put my probe into the hole once again. WHOA! Another one!! At this point I decided to scoop out a large pile of earth from the hole and place it beside me. Before checking out the soil I removed, I put the probe into the hole and heard nothing. I spread out the soil from the hole, and ran my probe over it. The probe song out in various areas...so I ran to my car to get a light. Glad I did, or I wouldn't have found some of the things you see in these pics...including the pieces of leather from the change purse with coin imprints in them...as well as the fragments of old bills, and the two train tickets.

In total, there were 12 coins dating from 1882 - 1928. Only two silvers...but I'll take em'! :)

This is not even close to being my oldest find, as I usually go after older stuff...but it certainly remains one of my most interesting and exciting.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• More Goodies 108.jpg
    More Goodies 108.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 953
  • More Goodies 107.jpg
    More Goodies 107.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 958
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My purse find as per "Baron Von De Kalb's" post

Excellent~

HH

trev

Dec 28, 2006
Falkirk Scotland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX

Fantastic mate, what great finds, what probe were you using ?

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks guys :)

I use a Sunray X-1 Inline probe...mounted on my Minelab Explorer II.

These probes in my opinion are the best on the market...and make like so much easier. They give great depth, are attached to your detector...so you don't have to carry it around with you seperately, they are controlled by the flick of a switch, and the best part is they give you the exact tones, etc as your detector...and the info is displayed on the screen.

They make a version of this probe for most high end detectors on the market today.

Wess

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

found it !!!!!!! :o
YES KILLER SCORE :D
man i got a call from a bud this morning who saw it posted :o
just to say "i suck" LMAO
its a very cooooooooooooool feeling ,EH?! ;D

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks folks! :)

OP
OP
ColonialDude

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Baron Von De Kalb said:
found it !!!!!!! :o
YES KILLER SCORE :D
man i got a call from a bud this morning who saw it posted :o
just to say "i suck" LMAO
its a very cooooooooooooool feeling ,EH?! ;D

HAHAH nice buddy! LOL

I wouldn't say you suck. I would say our finds are equally impressive. Interesting yours held nothing but indians. I guess the owner spent all their silver!? Yours are in great shape too! The unfortunate part about multiple coins in a hole is the corrosion...but who can complain!?

Happy hunting! :) and yes, it's exciting to make a find like ours for sure. Wish everyone could experience it....and I hope everyone does some day

D

dugupfinds

Cool ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread