My question, about the are you a customer question.

Seagates

Feb 7, 2009
So we've all got it I'm sure. But how do you respond?
I'm curious because even at banks that I AM a customer and they ask this question and I tell them yes, they have never confirmed it by looking up my account or anything since I'm paying with cash... Do any of you tell little white lies to get the goods?
Most of the time when they ask this question it seems like the tellers are usually really lazy and don't feel like going to the vault. Also there has only been one occasion when I was asked this question and responded No I'm not a customer that I actually got the coins anyways with a warning of you can't return them here... But countless times where I told them no and they have either pulled the F word out on me or said coins are for "OUR" customers.

Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
if a teller is pissing me off i reply "yea isn't everyone in here a customer?" or "yes i am i don't work here"

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a sore subject with me. I had one bank ask my name after I responded with a yes....and they couldnt comfirm an account,then told me you must be at the wrong bank. Another bank...I took my daughter and had her open a custodial account for my grandson, I forked out 25.00 to open the account, the following week I deposited another 25.00 in the account after I used the coin machine. The following week I got the customer question and was told that the custodial account wasnt mine and not to expect services unless I opened an account. I recently decided from here on in I will boldly answer with a yes....and if they ask my name I'll respond with I'm a taxpayer that helped with the recent bank bailout and also helps to protect their depositers with the fdic. Its a shame we as taxpayers are expected to pick up the tab on bank mistakes....yet they cant perform a simple service exchanging coins without the account issue. Its funny one bank chain will make a big deal out of it then the next chain dont ever ask the account question and even offer to order boxes. I know where I'll take my business if I need an auto loan or a mortgage in the future.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
terryin pa said:
I recently decided from here on in I will boldly answer with a yes....and if they ask my name I'll respond with I'm a taxpayer that helped with the recent bank bailout and also helps to protect their depositers with the fdic.

Interesting point Terry. With all the taxpayer-funded bank bail outs, we (as taxpayers) can make a legitimate argument and use this to our advantage; if ever given any push back from a bank. Can anyone get (and post) a list of all the banks that did actually receive bail out money; for not all did.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I would be honest and say no. The reason is that on a super-hyper technical legal basis I feel it could be construed as fraud if you obtain goods or services using false pretenses. Not that such a thing would ever be prosecuted and would probably never be worth such effort, but I don't like to take such chances. If any of you think that is crazy, take a look at the federal laws sometime and you will be suprised how many things can be considered a crime that would seem to be not serious or important to society.

If I am going to a bank where I am not a customer, I call ahead and ask if being one is required. Most of the time they tell me if I pay cash it doesn't matter. This is not the case with credit unions or small local banks I have found.

Jim

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Seagates said:
So we've all got it I'm sure. But how do you respond?
Do any of you tell little white lies to get the goods?

I guess our definitions are different, but to me if you are not a customer and you answer yes, how is that a "little white lie" as opposed to a "flat out lie"?

As for me (not saying you have to do this. This is just answering the question you asked as to what others do) if I am not a customer I say I am not. Even if it costs me the opportunity to get coins, which rarely it does, I won't tell them something that is just not true. My honor and word are worth more than the silver I could get. PLus, if I wanted the silver that badly, I could open an account and then be a customer. :-) At many banks I already have accounts, which helps.

Personally though, I don't tell the lie if I don't have an account. I don't see it as white (WHich I think is when you lie to protect someone's feelings, like telling your wife that she looks good when a dress doesn't look as good as you say it does) and I respect my word too much to say a lie just for a profit. We have too much lying in america, and too much thinking htat lies are now cute little things instead of what they are. Dishonest. As a Christian, I can't condone it in myself to say the lie.

My true opinion on the topic.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I answer truthfully. Usually the question I get is "Do you have an account here?" and not "Are you a customer?".

If they ask "Do you have an account here?".
I will say yes or no depending on if I do (now I may be splitting hairs by using loans and other account types, but they weren't specific so neither am I).

If they ask "Are you a customer?".
By definition of standing before them asking for their service, I am a customer, so that answer is always yes.

Rarely is it an issue for getting half dollars as most gladly will "let you take them off their hands" and I have been asked at numerous banks I don't have accounts at to please stop by again to "relieve" them of their half dollar problem. And those that won't sell to me because I don't have an account at, I just thank them and move on as there are too many other banks that are willing to sell regardless of an account that it isn't worth fighting the 5% that are not.

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well I was asked that question yesterday and when I answered not yet they said they only exchange coins with their customers. I was actually pretty PO'd about it, but just walked out and said that my not yet would probably now be not ever. Unless I want to make them a dump bank.

But I found a dump bank next door when the guy watched me from the glass door park my car, gather my stuff, get out, lock my door, walk up to the door and find it locked. He then said from behind the glass, the lobby is closed. I said really you couldn't have told me that earlier. This is at a bank I have accounts with.....guess what....dump bank.

To answer your question, I tell the truth.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
i normally just say yes if either my mother, father, brother or someone in my family has one b/c i then say im picking up for them. Also im a jr so that helps at my dads banks. I also have bank loans at some so i have argued with many a teller how my loan is and should be "customer" enough since the damn things is a 11 percent. But i digress, if all else fails i tell the white lie and if they ask for a name i get snotty and say thats not neccesary. I love to do this at banks that i do have an account b/c the assume i dont and when i finally cave and give them the info there all ncie and sweet b/c then no the f'd up

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
This is a difficult one for me. I am asked on every road trip at least once if I have an account with the bank. Some banks just ask but do not verify. Others like Chevy Chase do ask and verify. I had to open an account with them this last trip for a skunk box. Ha. At times I just say yes I am a customer. In my mind I am because I am doing business with them and exchanging money. If they ask if I have an account my answer depends on wether or not I think They will verify. Sometimes I just ask how much it would take to open an account. The banks that ask for 100 dollars plus I forget about. That is a rediculous amount. In spite of these banks I still do very well because most banks just want to get rid of these coins.

Golden Silver

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
ugotit22 said:
I also have bank loans at some so i have argued with many a teller how my loan is and should be "customer" enough since the damn things is a 11 percent.

If you have a loan through a bank that definitely makes you a customer. Any teller that would give you crap about that should receive an intervention with the bank management. They should have all your info in their computer and the loan probably bears some account number.

I have a credit card through one major bank (no other accounts) and they are satisfied with that.

Jim

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
golden silver said:
Some banks just ask but do not verify. Others like Chevy Chase do ask and verify.
Golden Silver

Darn the Chase always ask my account number. No matter which branch I go. I said I am a credit card customer but they would acutually type in my # and to see if I am active. Those uptight A$$es.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread